No. 17 BYU visits San Diego Saturday, hosts Toreros Monday
PROVO, Utah – After some rescheduling, No. 17 BYU women's basketball travels to San Diego to play the Toreros on Saturday, Jan. 22 at 1 p.m. PT and after a quick turnaround, hosts San Diego at the Marriott Center on Monday at 5 p.m. MT.
Monday's game is rescheduled from the original Dec. 30 date, postponed due to COVID-19 issues with San Diego's program.
Saturday's contest at the Jenny Craig Pavilion will be broadcast on Bally Sports San Diego, Bally Sports SoCal, NBC Sports Bay Area, Root Sports NW and available on the WCC Network (only available out of the San Diego, Bay Area and Northwest markets).
The game in Provo on Monday at the Marriott Center will be available on BYUtv.
Consistent with current BYU requirements, all in attendance at the Marriott Center will need to provide proof of vaccination or proof of a negative COVID test upon entry. Masks will also be required, regardless of vaccination status. Find more details at byu.edu/coronavirus.
BYU at San Diego
Saturday, Jan. 22
1 p.m. PT
TV/Stream: Bally Sports San Diego, Bally Sports SoCal, NBC Sports Bay Area, Root Sports NW, WCC Network
On Twitter: @BYUwbb
San Diego at BYU
Monday, Jan. 24
5 p.m. MT
On Twitter: @BYUwbb
- LAST GAME: BYU was dominant with back-to-back 40-point wins over Saint Mary’s and LMU on the road. BYU’s Thursday game scheduled at Pepperdine was postponed due to COVID-19 issues at Pepperdine.
- The Cougars moved up to at No. 17 in the AP Top 25 this week. BYU is ranked for the eighth consecutive week for the first time since 2006. The program’s highest ranking ever came earlier this year at No. 16.
- BYU is ranked No. 10 in scoring margin at +19.1 points per game and ranks No. 16 in scoring offense at 78.7 points per game. The Cougars are also No. 4 in assist to turnover ratio (1.49), No. 4 in assists per game (19.9), No. 14 in field goal percentage (46.3) and No. 24 in field goal percentage defense (35.1).
- As of Jan. 20, Lauren Gustin ranks No. 2 nationally in rebounds per game (12.4), No. 3 in offensive boards per game (4.9), Maria Albiero is No. 6 in assist to turnover ratio (2.91), Sara Hamson is No. 10 in total blocks 41) and No. 12 in blocked shots per game (2.73), Tegan Graham is No. 23 in 3-pointers per game (2.87) and Shaylee Gonzales is No. 47 in points per game (18.2).
- Shaylee Gonzales was named one of 15 players on the Becky Hammon Mid-major Player of the Year Midseason Watch List
About San Diego (10-6, 2-2)
- The Toreros are off a 2-2 in WCC play and are coming off back-to-back losses to Gonzaga and Saint Mary’s.
- San Diego's last matchup against the Cougars took place on January 4, 2021 and resulted in a 58-56 win under head coach Cindy Fisher.