SAN DIEGO, CALIF.Ã‚Â Fourth-seeded BYU defeated fifth-seeded Colorado State, 4-2, in the first round of the 2003 MWC Women?s Tennis Championship Thursday at Barnes Tennis Center.
The Cougars, ranked 54th nationally, captured the doubles point by taking two-of-three doubles matches from the Rams. Hadley Macfarlane and Nicole Schneider picked up the win at the No. 2 position, while Rebecca Pike and Olga Boulytcheva won at the No. 3 position. Boulytcheva, Pike and Schneider also picked up wins in their respective singles matches for the Cougars. The two Rams victories came from Sanja Hansson at the No. 1 spot and Dasha Zhurin at the No. 2 spot.
BYU improves to 12-10 overall, while the Rams fall to 8-9. The Cougars will face top-seeded UNLV in the 10 a.m. match at SDSU Courts on Friday. Colorado State will take on eighth-seeded Wyoming in the consolation bracket Friday at 10 a.m. at Barnes Tennis Center.
1. Sanja Hansson (CSU) def. Leeza Klempner (BYU) 6-2, 6-2
2. Dasha Zhurin (CSU) def. Dominique Reynolds (BYU) 6-3, 6-1
3. Olga Boulytcheva (BYU) def. Alexandra Paganetti (CSU) 6-0, 6-4
4. Hadley Macfarlane (BYU) vs. Carla Pallares (CSU) 6-3, 4-6, DNF
5. Rebecca Pike (BYU) def. Jessica Jones (CSU) 6-1, 6-4
6. Nicole Schneider (BYU) def. Tatyana Ugorich (CSU) 7-5, 6-4
1. Klempner/Reynolds (BYU) vs. Hansson/Zhurin (CSU) DNF
2. Macfarlane/Schneider (BYU) def. Jones/Paganetti (CSU) 8-1
3. Pike/Boulytcheva (BYU) def. Pallares/Ugorich (CSU) 8-3