PROVO, Utah – BYU women's tennis opened up its 2018 season in perfect fashion at home Friday, defeating Weber State 7-0 at the Indoor Tennis Courts.
“I'm happy that we were able to go out and perform,” BYU head coach Lauren Jones-Spencer said. "The girls worked hard the last two weeks in practice and I think it paid off today. We are making great progress and I'm looking forward to continue to improve each match."
The Cougars (1-0) started off hot, earning two quick doubles victories over the Wildcats (0-3). Senior Mayci Jones and sophomore Kate Cusick took on Weber State’s McKenna Lloyd and Sara Parker to earn BYU’s first victory of the day, 6-1. Sophomores Samantha Smith and Polina Malykh also won 6-1, defeating Morgan Dickason and Tereza Pilzova of the Wildcats.
In her first match home match back from injury, Jones came out strong in No. 1 singles. She faced Weber State’s Caitlin Herb and earned a decisive 6-2, 6-1 victory. Playing second singles, freshman Anastasia Abramyan battled Pei-Hsuan Kuo of Weber State in the closest match of the day. The two went back and forth, but Abramyan came out on top 6-4, 2-6, 10-6 (tiebreaker) and won her first match at home.
Freshman Madeline Almeida (third singles) helped BYU keep the advantage by defeating Weber State’s Pilzova 6-1, 6-4. Cusick continued from her strong, earlier play and defeated Dominque Beauvais of Weber State 6-2, 6-3. Smith earned a quick victory in the first set against Dickason in No. 5 singles, then fought hard to pull out the win 6-1, 7-5. Sophomore Polina Malykh, who is also coming off an injury that cut last season short, finished strong and topped off the Cougars' perfect record for the day, winning 6-2, 6-3 over Lloyd.
BYU will travel to Long Beach State to take on the 49ers on Feb. 9 at 2:00 p.m. PST.
BYU 7, Weber State 0
1. Mayci Jones (BYU) def. Caitlin Herb (WSU) 6-2, 6-1
2. Anastasia Abramyan (BYU) def. Pei_Hsuan Kuo (WSU) 6-4, 2-6, 10-6
3. Madeline Almeida (BYU) def. Tereza Pilzova (WSU) 6-1, 6-4
4. Kate Cusick (BYU) def. Dominique Beauvais (WSU) 6-2, 6-3
5. Samantha Smith (BYU) def. Morgan Dickason (WSU) 6-1, 7-5
6. Polina Malykh (BYU) def. McKenna Lloyd (WSU) 6-2, 6-3
1. Anastasia Abramyan/Taylah Beckman (BYU) vs. Caitlin Herb/Pei_Hsuan Kuo (WSU) unfinished
2. Mayci Jones/Kate Cusick (BYU) def. McKenna Lloyd/Sara Parker (WSU) 6-1
3. Samantha Smith/Polina Malykh (BYU) def. Morgan Dickason/ Tereza Pilzova (WSU) 6-1