PROVO, Utah – With another 6-1 score, the BYU men's tennis team took the win over the Grand Canyon Antelopes in its home opener on Friday.
“I’m very pleased with the win today over Grand Canyon. They are a well-coached and good team,” said BYU head coach Dave Porter. “We had a great week of practice and the players came out supporting one another, playing hard, and playing better. That is our goal each week, to get a little better. We have one of our only weeks off this coming week, giving us two weeks to prepare for Boise State. We hope all those who are available to come out at watch us on February 11th will attend.”
The Cougars secured the doubles point beginning with a 6-3 win at No. 1 doubles, as Jack Barnett and Wally Thayne came out on top of their Antelope opponents. Barnett finished the set serving, clinching the set-win on an ace.
At No. 3 doubles, Zach Fuchs and Mateo Vereau finished off Grand Canyon in a 6-3 win. The win secured the doubles point although it was pre-determined to play out all matches. At No. 2 doubles Brigham Andrus and Matheus Leite finished their match in a “Match Tiebreak” at 5-5. The doubles team won the “breaker” 7-5 to complete the doubles sweep.
In singles play, Barnett dominated his opponent Mariano Argote, with a 6-1, 6-1 win to give BYU its first singles point. Leite followed close behind at No. 4 singles, with a 6-1, 6-3, win over Adrien Coulome of Grand Canyon.
With the score 3-0 in favor of the Cougars, Mateo Vereau clinched the match at No. 3 singles overcoming Martim Marujo 6-4 in the first set and beating his opponent with a strong 6-1 win in the second set. At No. 2 singles, Wally Thayne won against a solid GCU opponent, Freddie Grant, by the score of 6-3, 6-4.
Andrus fell at No. 5 singles, while Fuchs closed out the dual match for BYU, with a 6-2, 6-2 win at No. 6 singles.
The Cougars have two weeks off from match play before their second home match of the season against the Boise State Broncos on Friday, Feb. 11 on the BYU Indoor Courts. The match start time is still pending.
- Jack Barnett/Wally Thayne (BYU) def. Mariano Argote/Stan De Samucewicz 6-3
- Brigham Andrus/Matheus Leite (BYU) Freddie Grant/Loic Van Zeggelaar def. 6-3
- Zach Fuchs/Mateo Vereau (BYU) def. Martim Marujo/Adrien Coulome 6-5 (5)
- Jack Barnett (BYU) def. Mariano Argote (GCU) 6-1, 6-1
- Wally Thayne (BYU) def. Freddie Grant (GCU) 6-3, 6-4
- Mateo Vereau (BYU) def. Martim Marujo (GCU) 6-4, 6-1
- Matheus Leite (BYU) def. Adrien Coulome (GCU) 6-1, 6-3
- Loic Van Zeggelaar (GCU) 6-1, 6-4 def. Brigham Andrus (BYU) 6-1, 6-4
- Zach Fuchs (BYU) def. Grzegorz Rudnicki 6-2, 6-2