PROVO, Utah – In a close battle, BYU men’s tennis fell 4-1 to Gonzaga on Friday at the BYU Outdoor Tennis Courts.
“I am proud of the way we played today,” said head coach Dave Porter. “We came out with another number one player out and almost got the doubles point. Our team played strong and hard. We came out in singles, had a chance and were very close when the match ended. Gonzaga is a good team, and today they deserved the win. We are going to try to heal up and be ready to play Utah State tomorrow. Come join us at noon.”
The Cougars fought hard in doubles play going to 5-5 in all three matches. Matheus Leite and Mateo Vereau finished first winning 7-5 over their Bulldog opponents. At No. 2 doubles, Alex Lin and Otto Schreiner kept the match close, eventually falling 5-7. BYU lost at No. 3 doubles in a tiebreak to give Gonzaga the first point.
In singles play, senior Leite and junior Vereau came out strong, both with 6-2 wins in the first set. Vereau dominated at No. 2 singles with another 6-2 win in the second set to give BYU their first point. Otto Schreiner fell 6-1 in his first set, but fought back in the second, eventually falling 6-3 to give Gonzaga their second point. With BYU down 1-2, Dominik Jakovljevic and Alex Lin fought hard for BYU, eventually falling to their Gonzaga opponents to secure the 4-1 win for the Bulldogs. Both Tennyson Whiting and Leite were beginning their third sets at the matches completion.
Cougars men’s tennis will play home again tomorrow facing the Utah State Aggies. The match is scheduled to begin at 12 p.m. MDT at the BYU Outdoor Tennis Courts.
Gonzaga 4, Brigham Young University 1
- Matheus Leite (BYU) vs. Sasha Trkulja (GU) 6-2, 5-7, 2-2
- Mateo Vereau (BYU) def. Matthew Hollingworth (GU) 6-2, 6-2
- Oliver Andersson (GU) def. Dominik Jakovljevic (BYU) 6-4, 6-3
- Arthus Bassetiere (GU) def. Otto Schreiner (BYU) 6-1, 6-3
- Tom Hann (GU) def. Alex Lin (BYU) 7-5, 6-3
- Tennyson Whiting (BYU) vs. Leon Roider (GU) 7-5, 4-6
- Matheus Leite and Mateo Vereau (BYU) def. Sasha Trkulja and Matthew Hollingworth (GU) 7-5
- Leon Roider and Tom Hann (GU) def. Otto Schreiner and Alex Lin (BYU) 7-5
- Pablo Gomez Galvan and Arthus Bassetiere (GU) def. Dominik Jakovljevic and Tennyson Whiting (BYU) 7-6 (4)
Order of finish: Singles -- 2 4 3 5 ; Doubles -- 1 2 3 Start Time: 12 p.m.