LA JOLLA, Calif. – BYU men’s tennis picks up a solid 4-3 win on the road over UC San Diego this Thursday at the Northview Tennis Courts.
“I am very proud of the way the Cougars played today,” said head coach Dave Porter. We fought hard in doubles and came out strong in singles, but UCSD is a great team and gave us some tough competition. It was a really great job by the entire team. We are still suffering from some injuries but are hoping to heal up some sore spots in our bodies to play USD on Saturday.”
Coming out strong in doubles play, Matheus Leite and Mateo Vereau defeated Eric Silberman and Zach Ermert of UCSD with a 6-2 win at No. 1 doubles. With closer games in the next two matches, No. 2 and 3 doubles battled their opponents for the doubles point. At No. 2 doubles, Wally Thayne and Dominik Jakovljevic fell to Daniel Traxler and William Lan in a 6-7 tiebreak to leave the deciding point up to No. 3 doubles. Fighting to the end, Alex Lin and Otto Schreiner came out with the 7-6 tiebreak win over Pelayo Rodriguez and Philip Lan to give the Cougars the first point.
UC San Diego fought back taking the first singles win at No. 3 singles, to give them their first point. With the match tied 1-1, Thayne came out with a strong win for the Cougars at No. 1 singles, beating Traxler of UCSD 6-1, 6-4. The Tritons did not back down, however, taking another two wins at No. 2 and 5 singles. The Cougars now trailing by one came back with a 6-2, 6-4 win by Jakovljevic at No. 4 singles over Rodriguez. With the match tied 3-3, BYU’s Lin and Sanjith Devineni of USCD played a third set in challenging conditions at No. 6 singles to determine the final outcome. Lin battled for BYU coming back from 0-2 in the third set to secure the 4-3 win for the Cougars.
BYU men’s tennis will travel to face University of San Diego on Saturday. The match is scheduled to begin at 12 p.m. PST.
- Wally Thayne (BYU) def. Daniel Traxler (UCSD) 6-1, 6-4
- Phillip Lan (UCSD) def. Matheus Leite (BYU) 6-1, 6-3
- Zach Ermert (UCSD) def. Mateo Vereau (BYU) 6-2, 6-3
- Dominik Jakovljevic (BYU) def. Pelayo Rodriguez (UCSD) 6-2, 6-4
- Jett Cole (UCSD) def. Otto Schreiner (BYU) 6-2, 6-1
- Alex Lin (BYU) def. Sanjith Devineni (UCSD) 4-6, 6-3, 6-3
- Matheus Leite and Mateo Vereau (BYU) def. Eric Silberman and Zach Ermert (UCSD) 6-2
- Daniel Traxler and William Lan (UCSD) def. Wally Thayne and Dominik Jakovljevic (BYU) 7-6 (3)
- Alex Lin and Otto Schreiner (BYU) def. Pelayo Rodriguez and Phillip Lan (UCSD) 7-6 (6)