SANTA CLARA, Calif. – In its second road match of the weekend, BYU men’s tennis fell 4-1 to Santa Clara at the Degheri Tennis Center on Saturday.
“I am proud of the way the guys played today,” said head coach Dave Porter. “We came out and played well in doubles. In singles the energy and fight was there, so we just need to get home and heal up before our next match against Pepperdine.”
Coming out strong in doubles play, Wally Thayne and Tennyson Whiting dominated at No. 1 doubles with a 6-2 win over Mann Shah and Arthur Neuhaus. In a closer match at No. 2 doubles, Matheus Leite and Mateo Vereau fought to the end, eventually earning the 7-5 win for the Cougars. Their win over Guillaume Dalmasso and Santiago Hinojosa gave BYU its first point. At No. 3 doubles, Otto Schreiner and Alex Lin were up 5-4 when doubles play finished.
BYU’s Thayne and Santa Clara’s Dalmasso then took the court at No. 1 singles, battling for the first set win at 5-5. Dalmasso eventually took the 7-6 (4) win over Thayne in the first set.
At No. 2 singles, injured senior Leite fell to Neuhaus 6-1, 6-1 to give the Broncos their first point. With the score tied 1-1, Vereau won the first set 7-5. Vereau came back strong in the second set and was up 5-2 when the match ended.
At No. 5 singles, Schreiner battled for BYU and eventually lost 6-4, 6-1 to Hinojosa to put the Broncos up 2-1. Jakovljevic and Thayne both fought to put the Cougars in the lead but fell in close matches at No. 4 and 1 singles to secure the 4-1 win for Santa Clara.
Lin was ahead 4-1 in the second set when the match finished.
BYU men’s tennis will be home next week hosting Pepperdine on Thursday, April 14. The match is scheduled to begin at 12 p.m. MST at the BYU Outdoor Tennis Courts.
Santa Clara 4, Brigham Young University 1
- Guillaume Dalmasso (SCUM) def. Wally Thayne (BYU) 7-6 (7-3), 6-2
- Arthur Neuhaus (SCUM) def. Matheus Ferreira Lei (BYU) 6-1, 6-1
- Mann Shah (SCUM) vs. Mateo Vereau (BYU) 5-7, 5-2, unfinished
- James Bell (SCUM) def. Dominik Jakovljevic (BYU) 6-3, 6-4
- Santiago Hinojosa (SCUM) def. Otto Schreiner (BYU) 6-4, 6-1
- Nick Cmager (SCUM) vs. Alex Lin (BYU) 7-5, 4-1, unfinished
- Wally Thayne/Tennyson Whiting (BYU) def. Mann Shah/Arthur Neuhaus (SCUM) 6-2
- Matheus Ferreira Lei/Mateo Vereau (BYU) def. Guillaume Dalmasso/Santiago Hinojosa (SCUM) 7-5
- Nick Cmager/James Bell (SCUM) vs. Alex Lin/Otto Schreiner (BYU) 5-4, unfinished
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (2,5,4,1)