Coming off a 97-79 win over UAB in the first round of the NIT, No. 2 seed BYU basketball will host No. 3 seed Virginia Tech in the second round Friday at 7:30 p.m. MDT in the Marriott Center. The winner of BYU vs. Virginia Tech will face the winner of No. 4 seed Creighton and No. 8 seed Wagner in the third round.
Friday's game will be televised live on ESPNU and broadcast live on the Cougar IMG Sports Network, KSL NewsRadio 102.7 FM/1160 AM and BYU Radio – Sirius XM 143. Live video streaming will be available on WatchESPN.com.
- BYU is playing in the National Invitational Tournament for the 12th time in program history and third time under Dave Rose. BYU has advanced to the second round of the NIT for the 8th time. In 2013, the Cougars advanced to the semifinals at Madison Square Garden. BYU, a No. 3 seed in 2013, lost to Baylor in the semifinals.
- When BYU hit 13 3s against UAB, it was the team’s 13th game with 10-plus 3s this season, a new team record. BYU’s 307 3s is the second most in a season behind the 2010-11 team that hit 312. The team’s average of 9.0 3s per game is also a team record.
- Kyle Collinsworth added to his NCAA career record against UAB when he posted his 12th career triple-double. Collinsworth also tied his NCAA season record with his 6th triple-double of the season. He also had 6 in 2014-15.
No. 2 seed BYU Cougars (24-10, 13-5 WCC)
- Head Coach: Dave Rose
- Alma Mater: Houston, 1983
- Division I Career Record: 281-98 (11th)
- Record at BYU: Same
No. 3 seed Virginia Tech Hokies (20-14, 10-8 ACC)
- Head Coach: Buzz Williams
- Alma Mater: Oklahoma City, 1994
- Career Record: 184-122 (9th)
- Record at Virginia Tech: 31-36 (2nd)
- TV: ESPNU
- TV Talent: Mitch Holthus (play-by-play), Corey Williams (analyst)
- Live Video: WatchESPN.com
- Radio: Cougar IMG Sports Network, KSL 102.7 FM / 1160 AM, Sirius XM 143
- Radio Talent: Greg Wrubell (play-by-play), Mark Durrant (analyst)
- Live Stats: BYUcougars.com
- Series Record: BYU leads 3-0
- Last Meeting: BYU won 97-71, 12/29/12
- H/A/N: 0-0/1-0/2-0