BYU basketball will host Portland in its West Coast Conference opener Thursday at 7 p.m. MST in the Marriott Center. The Cougars finished the nonconference portion of their schedule with an 11-2 record and currently own an eight-game winning streak.
Thursday's game will be televised live on BYUtv and broadcast live on the BYU Sports Network on BYU Radio – Sirius XM 143 and KSL Newsradio 102.7 FM/1160 AM.
Over the last three games, Payton Dastrup is third on the team in scoring (9.7 points per game) and rebounds (4.7 boards per game). Over that stretch, he is shooting 76.9 percent from the field, 100.0 percent from 3-point range and 80.0 percent from the free-throw line.
BYU has won eight-straight games, its longest winning streak since the Cougars won eight-straight at the end of the 2014-15 season. The last time a BYU team won more than eight-straight games was in 2010-11 when the Cougars had a pair of 10-game winning streaks.
Yoeli Childs led BYU to a pair of wins last week, averaging 19.5 points and 8.0 boards. Both games featured big halves, including 17 points in the first half vs. Idaho State and 16 in the second half vs. Texas Southern.
BYU Cougars (11-2, 0-0 WCC)
- Head Coach: Dave Rose
- Alma Mater: Houston, 1983
- Division I Career Record: 316-113 (13th)
- Record at BYU: Same
Portland Pilots (6-7, 0-0 WCC)
- Head Coach: Terry Porter
- Alma Mater: UW-Stevens Point, 1993
- Career Record: 17-29 (2nd)
- Record at Portland: Same
- TV: BYUtv
- TV Talent: Dave McCann (play-by-play), Blaine Fowler (analyst), Spencer Linton (courtside)
- Live Video: BYUtv.org
- Radio: BYU Sports Network, BYU Radio Sirius XM 143, 102.7 FM/1160 AM
- Radio Talent: Greg Wrubell (play-by-play), Mark Durrant (analyst)
- Live Stats: BYUcougars.com
Series Record: BYU leads 16-2
Last Meeting: BYU won 97-78, 2/23/17