PROVO, Utah – BYU men's basketball will open the 2019-20 season under new head coach Mark Pope Tuesday night at 7 p.m. MST against Cal State Fullerton in the Marriott Center.
Tuesday's game will be televised live on BYUtv and the BYUtv app. The game with also be broadcast live on the BYU Sports Network on BYU Radio – Sirius XM 143/89.1 FM HD2 and KSL 102.7 FM/1160 AM.
- BYU men’s basketball enters a new era with Mark Pope as the head coach. Pope, the 19th coach in program history, comes to BYU after a successful four-year run at Utah Valley, where he led the Wolverines to back-to-back 20-win seasons – including a program-record 25 in 2018-19 – and three-straight trips to the postseason. A former BYU assistant under Dave Rose, Pope brings a relentless, high-intensity style of play to Provo.
- The Cougars defeated UT Tyler in an exhibition contest 100-58. Freshman Trevin Knell hit 5 of 6 from 3 for 19 points to lead BYU in scoring. Jake Toolson added, Connor Harding had 15 and Kolby Lee scored 13. Dalton Nixon and Harding had eight rebounds apeice and Blaze Nield had a team-high five assists.
- BYU is 85-32/83-32 all-time in season openers and 93-24/91-24 in home openers (on-court/NCAA adjusted record).
BYU Cougars (0-0, 0-0 WCC)
- Head Coach: Mark Pope
- Alma Mater: Kentucky, 1996
- Division I Career Record: 77-56 (5th)
- Record at BYU: 0-0 (1st)
Cal State Fullerton (0-0, 0-0 Big West)
- Head Coach: Dedrique Taylor
- Alma Mater: UC Davis, 1997
- Division I Career Record: 83-107 (7th)
- Record at Cal State Fullerton: Same
- TV: BYUtv
- TV Talent: Dave McCann (play-by-play), Spencer Linton (analyst), Spencer Linton (courtside)
- Live Video: WatchESPN.com
- Radio: BYU Sports Network, BYU Radio Sirius XM 143/89.1 FM HD2, KSL 102.7 FM/1160 AM
- Radio Talent: Greg Wrubell (play-by-play), Mark Durrant (analyst)
- Live Stats: BYUcougars.com
- Series Record: 3-3
- Last Meeting: CSUF won 75-67, 11/22/96
- H/A/N: 2-3/1-0/0-0