In-state matchup with Southern Utah set for Wednesday
PROVO, Utah – BYU men's basketball will play its third-straight home game when the Cougars host Southern Utah Wednesday at 7 p.m. MST in the Marriott Center. This marks the first time BYU is playing Southern Utah since 2007.
The matchup with Southern Utah is a Maui on the Mainland game and part of the Maui Jim Maui Invitational. The Cougars play in the Maui Invitational beginning Nov. 25 against UCLA.
Wednesday's game will be televised live on BYUtv and the BYUtv app. The game with also be broadcast live on the BYU Sports Network on BYU Radio – Sirius XM 143/89.1 FM HD2 and KSL 102.7 FM/1160 AM.
- BYU and Southern Utah have played 11 times in the history of the series, with every game being held at the Marriott Center. The Cougars and Thunderbirds are playing for the first time since 2007. The two teams had a streak of playing each other for nine-straight seasons from 1999 to 2007. BYU is 11-0 all-time vs. Southern Utah.
- Senior guard Jake Toolson had his best offensive game in a Cougar uniform against San Diego State, as he scored a BYU career-high 18 points on 7 of 13 shooting from the field and 2 of 5 from 3-point range. Toolson also added four rebounds, four assists and two steals.
- Alex Barcello has scored in double figures in BYU’s first two games, with 17 points vs. Cal State Fullerton and 11 vs. San Diego State. It marks the first time he has scored in back-to-back games in his collegiate career.
BYU Cougars (1-1, 0-0 WCC)
- Head Coach: Mark Pope
- Alma Mater: Kentucky, 1996
- Division I Career Record: 78-57 (5th)
- Record at BYU: 1-0 (1st)
Southern Utah Thunderbirds (2-0, 0-0 Big Sky)
- Head Coach: Todd Simon
- Alma Mater: Central Michigan, 2003
- Division I Career Record: 47-71 (5th)
- Record at Southern Utah: 38-63 (4th)
- TV: BYUtv
- TV Talent: Dave McCann (play-by-play), Blaine Fowler (analyst), Spencer Linton (courtside)
- Live Video: WatchESPN.com
- Radio: BYU Sports Network, BYU Radio Sirius XM 143/89.1 FM HD2, KSL 102.7 FM/1160 AM
- Radio Talent: Greg Wrubell (play-by-play), Mark Durrant (analyst)
- Live Stats: BYUcougars.com
- Series Record: 11-0
- Last Meeting: BYU won 70-55, 12/21/07
- H/A/N: 11-0/0-0/0-0