BYU to take on Texas Southern on Monday
PROVO, Utah – BYU men’s basketball is back home to take on Texas Southern (2-4) on Monday. This will be the third all-time meeting between the Cougars and Tigers. BYU won the most recent matchup 72-53 in Provo back in December of 2017.
The game will be broadcast on BYUtv at 7 p.m. MST. It will also be broadcast live on the BYU Sports Network on BYU Radio – Sirius XM 143/89.1 FM HD2 and KSL 102.7 FM/1160 AM.
BYU Notes (7-2, 0-0 West Coast Conference)
- The Cougars are off to a 7-2 start, with wins over No. 18 San Diego State, Utah, Utah State, St. John’s, Utah Valley, New Orleans and Westminster. The two losses were to USC and Boise State.
- BYU is led by Alex Barcello who is averaging 18.2 points, 4.9 rebounds and 4.2 assists per game. Barcello has scored 164 points in nine games (as of Dec. 19) good for No. 3 in the nation in points scored. He is shooting a blistering 62.5% from three and 61.7% from the field.
- Barcello is 78 of 149 from beyond the arc (52.4%) in his BYU career. He is currently the Cougars all time three-point percentage leader. Nate Call is second at 45.6%.
- Barcello’s (AB) partner in BYU’s ABBA backcourt is Brandon Averette (BA). Averette had 10 points in BYU’s big win over SDSU, knocking down a huge three with 52 seconds left in the game, putting BYU up 66-62. It was Averette’s fifth time scoring in double figures this season. He’s averaging 8.4 points per game.
Head Coach – Mark Pope
- Alma Mater: Kentucky, 1996
- Division I Career Record: 108-66 (5th season)
- Record at BYU: 31-10 (2nd season)
Texas Southern Notes (2-4, 0-0 SWAC)
- Texas Southern is 2-4 and coming off an 80-63 loss on the road at Auburn.
- TSU has defeated LeTourneau and Wyoming and lost to Auburn, Saint Mary’s, Oklahoma State and Washington State.
- John Walker III leads Texas Southern in scoring this season, averaging 14.8 points per game and is shooting 60.7% from the field. He scored 35 points in the Tigers’ win over Division III LeTourneau.
- Michael Weathers (13.7) and Galen Alexander (12.0) are also scoring in double figures for the Tigers.
- Weathers has won two SWAC Player of the Week honors already this season.
- Texas Southern has nine returners from last season, including three starters. They have five newcomers who are transfers who were with the team last season but sat out per NCAAA rules.
Head Coach – Johnny Jones
- Alma Mater: LSU, 1984
- Division I Career Record: 337-268 (20th Season)
- Record at Texas Southern: 42-34 (3rd Season)
- Series Record: BYU leads 2-0
- Home: 2-0
- Away: 0-0
- Neutral: 0-0
- Last Meeting: BYU won 72-56, 12/23/2017
- Other Meeting: BYU won 76-61, 12/10/1999
- TV: BYUtv
- TV Talent: Dave McCann (play-by-play) and Blaine Fowler (analyst)
- Radio: BYU Sports Network, BYU Radio Sirius XM 143/89.1 FM HD2, KSL 102.7 FM/1160 AM
- Streamed Audio: BYURadio.org, BYUCougars.com/LiveRadio and the BYU Radio, BYUCougars and BYU Gameday apps
- Radio Talent: Jason Shepherd (play-by-play), Mark Durrant (analyst)
- Live Stats: BYUcougars.com
BYU men's basketball has released its full 2021-22 men's basketball schedule on Tuesday.
BYU men’s basketball will hold walk-on tryouts on Sept. 18 from 8-10 a.m. MDT in the Marriott Center.
The West Coast Conference released its 2021-22 men's basketball conference schedule on Wednesday.
BYU men’s basketball head coach Mark Pope announced today that junior guard Seneca Knight will join the team as a…