BYU to take on Weber State at Vivint on Wednesday
PROVO, Utah – BYU men’s basketball will face Weber State (3-2) on Wednesday in a neutral-court matchup at Vivint Smart Home Arena. The Cougars are coming off of a 87-71 victory at home over Texas Southern on Monday. The Wildcats are coming off of a split against Portland State on Friday and Sunday on the road.
The game will be broadcast on BYUtv at 5 p.m. MST. It will also be broadcast live on the BYU Sports Network on BYU Radio – Sirius XM 143/89.1 FM HD2 and KSL 102.7 FM/1160 AM.
BYU Notes (8-2, 0-0 West Coast Conference)
- The Cougars are off to a 8-2 start, with wins over Texas Southern, No. 18 San Diego State, Utah, Utah State, St. John’s, Utah Valley, New Orleans and Westminster. The two losses were to USC and Boise State.
- BYU is led by Alex Barcello who is averaging 17.4 points, 4.8 rebounds and 4.8 assists per game. Barcello has scored 174 points in 10 games, good for No. 8 in the nation in points scored. He is shooting a blistering 62.8% from beyond the arc, which is No. 1 in the nation among players who have shot 40+ threes.
- Barcello is 80 of 152 from beyond the arc (52.6%) in his BYU career. He is currently the Cougars all time three-point percentage leader. Nate Call is second at 45.6%.
- Barcello’s (AB) partner in BYU’s ABBA backcourt is Brandon Averette (BA). Averette had 10 points in BYU’s big win over SDSU, knocking down a huge three with 52 seconds left in the game, putting BYU up 66-62. Averette followed up that performance with a season-high in scoring for any BYU player, dropping 30 points in BYU’s most recent contest against Texas Southern.
Head Coach – Mark Pope
- Alma Mater: Kentucky, 1996
- Division I Career Record: 108-66 (5th season)
- Record at BYU: 31-10 (2nd season)
Weber State Notes (3-2, 0-0 Big Sky)
- Weber State is 3-2, most recently opening Big Sky Conference play with a win and loss, both on the road against Portland State, this past Friday and Sunday respectively. The Wildcats won the first game handily, 94-66, and dropped the second game by a single basket, 74-72.
- The Wildcats’ other wins have come against Adams State and Westminster.
- The Wildcats’ other loss came at the hands of a common opponent that BYU also fell to: Boise State. WSU lost to the Broncos 70-59. BYU lost to them 74-70.
- Weber State is led by senior guard Isiah Brown who’s averaging 21.2 points per game. He is 0.1 points away from being in the top 20 in the nation in scoring.
- Senior forward Cody Carlson is No. 7 in the nation in field goal percentage, shooting 77.1% this season.
- This will be the 45th meeting between the Cougars and Wildcats. BYU leads the all-time series 33-11. BYU won last year’s matchup 91-61 in Provo. Weber State won the previous season’s matchup 113-103 in Ogden.
Head Coach – Randy Rahe
- Alma Mater: Buena Vista College, 1982
- Division I Career Record: 281-165 (15th Season)
- Record at Texas Southern: 281-165 (15th Season)
- Series Record: BYU leads 33-11
- Last Meeting: BYU won 91-61, 12/21/2019
- TV: BYUtv
- TV Talent: Dave McCann (play-by-play) and Blaine Fowler (analyst)
- Radio: BYU Sports Network, BYU Radio Sirius XM 143/89.1 FM HD2, KSL 102.7 FM/1160 AM
- Streamed Audio: BYURadio.org, BYUCougars.com/LiveRadio and the BYU Radio, BYUCougars and BYU Gameday apps
- Radio Talent: Greg Wrubell (play-by-play), Mark Durrant (analyst)
- Live Stats: BYUcougars.com