BYU to take on San Francisco Saturday on the road
PROVO, Utah – BYU men’s basketball will face San Francisco (9-6, 3-2) on the road on Saturday. Both teams are coming off road victories in WCC play. Earlier this week, BYU defeated Saint Mary’s, while San Francisco won at Portland.
The game will be broadcast on ESPN (this changed today after a cancellation moved the game to ESPN from ESPN2) at 5 p.m. PST. It will also be broadcast live on the BYU Sports Network on BYU Radio – Sirius XM 143/89.1 FM HD2 and KSL 102.7 FM/1160 AM.
BYU Notes (10-3, 1-1 West Coast Conference)
- The Cougars are 10-3, most recently picking up a road victory over Saint Mary’s 62-52. It was BYU’s first win in Moraga since the 2013-14 season.
- BYU has wins over Saint Mary’s, Weber State, Texas Southern, No. 18 San Diego State, Utah, Utah State, St. John’s, Utah Valley, New Orleans and Westminster. The three losses were to USC, Boise State and No. 1 Gonzaga, who are now a combined 35-3 this season.
- BYU is led by senior guard Alex Barcello who is averaging 16.1 points, 4.6 assists and 4.5 rebounds per game. Barcello is 30-for-51 from beyond the arc. The 59% clip is No. 1 in the nation among players who have shot 20+ threes.
- Sophomore guard Trevin Knell made his first career start for the Cougars against Saint Mary’s. He made the lone three-pointer for BYU on the night, scoring seven points on 3-5 shooting, while also pulling down three rebounds. He led the team in minutes and had a game-high +/- of +16.
Head Coach – Mark Pope
- Alma Mater: Kentucky, 1996
- Division I Career Record: 111-67 (6th season)
- Record at BYU: 34-11 (2nd season)
San Francisco Notes (9-6, 3-2 West Coast Conference)
- San Francisco is 9-6, after beating Portland 79-63 on Thursday. It was the Dons’ third conference win, which is second most only to Gonzaga (4).
- The Dons have wins this season over Portland (twice), San Diego, Grand Canyon, Cal State Long Beach, Cal Poly, Nevada, No. 4 Virginia and Towson. Their losses have come to Loyola Marymount, No. 1 Gonzaga, Oregon, Cal, Rhode Island, and Massachusetts-Lowell.
- After dropping their season opener to Massachusetts-Lowell, the Dons shocked No. 4 Virginia 61-60. The Dons currently have a five-game home win streak, with their last loss coming against Pacific on Feb. 6, 2020.
- The Dons have three players averaging double digits in scoring — Jamaree Bouyea (18.0), Khalil Shabazz (14.7) and Dzmitry Ryuny (10.3). Shabazz came off the bench in the Dons’ home win over BYU last year, going 10-10 from the field, including 6-6 from three. His 32 points were the game high, as well as a career high for the redshirt junior guard.
Head Coach – Todd Golden
- Alma Mater: Saint Mary’s, 2008
- Division I Career Record: 31-18 (2nd Season)
- Record at San Francisco: 31-18 (2nd Season)
- All-Time Series: BYU leads 19-9
- Last Meeting: BYU won 90-76, 2/8/2020
- BYU won 14 of the first 15 matchups as a WCC member, but USF has won three of the last four. The Cougars haven’t defeated the Dons on The Hill since the 2017-18 season.
- TV: ESPN
- TV Talent: TBA
- Radio: BYU Sports Network, BYU Radio Sirius XM 143/89.1 FM HD2, KSL 102.7 FM/1160 AM
- Streamed Audio: BYURadio.org, BYUCougars.com/LiveRadio and the BYU Radio, BYUCougars and BYU Gameday apps
- Radio Talent: Greg Wrubell (play-by-play), Mark Durrant (analyst)
- Live Stats: BYUcougars.com
BYU seniors Brandon Averette, Alex Barcello and Matt Haarms combined for 30 points in a 65-51 win for BYU men's…
The following notes are from BYU's 65-51 win over Saint Mary's on Saturday, Feb. 27, 2021, at the Marriott Center.
BYU men’s basketball will face Saint Mary’s (13-7, 4-5) to wrap up the regular season schedule Saturday at the Marriott…
Notes and Quotes from BYU's 79-73 win over San Francisco.