BYU to take on Portland Thursday at home
PROVO, Utah – BYU men’s basketball will face Portland (6-7, 0-4) at home on Saturday. Last week, BYU had big road wins at Sant Mary’s and San Francisco, while Portland dropped games to San Francisco and Pepperdine.
The game will be broadcast on CBS Sports Network at 7 p.m. MST. It will also be broadcast live on the BYU Sports Network on BYU Radio – Sirius XM 143/89.1 FM HD2 and KSL 102.7 FM/1160 AM.
BYU Notes (11-3, 2-1 West Coast Conference)
- The Cougars are 11-3, most recently defeating Saint Mary’s 62-52 and San Francisco 72-63 in a road trip to the Bay Area. The Cougars lost both games on the road last season.
- BYU has wins over San Francisco, Saint Mary’s, Weber State, Texas Southern, No. 18 San Diego State, Utah, Utah State, St. John’s, Utah Valley, New Orleans and Westminster. The three losses were to USC, Boise State and No. 1 Gonzaga.
- BYU is led by senior guard Alex Barcello who is averaging 16.3 points, 4.4 assists and 4.3 rebounds per game. Barcello is 31-for-55 from beyond the arc. The 56% clip is No. 1 in the nation among players who have shot 13+ threes.
- Forward Caleb Lohner has pulled down 94 rebounds through 14 games. At this rate, Lohner is on track to end the regular season with 178 boards, which would put him at No. 9 all-time for a BYU freshman. Yoeli Childs holds the freshman record for rebounds with 272 in 33 games played.
Head Coach – Mark Pope
- Alma Mater: Kentucky, 1996
- Division I Career Record: 112-67 (6th season)
- Record at BYU: 35-11 (2nd season)
Portland Notes (6-7, 0-4 West Coast Conference)
- Portland is 6-7, after losing at Pepperdine 80-65 on Saturday. It was the Pilots’ fourth conference loss. The average margin of defeat in conference play for the Pilots has been 20 points.
- Portland has wins this season over Montana State, College of Idaho, Oregon State, Portland State, Northwest University, and William Jessup. Its losses have come to Pepperdine, San Francisco (twice), No. 1 Gonzaga, Seattle (twice), and Oregon.
- Portland began the season 5-1, with a big overtime victory over Oregon State in Corvallis. Since that win, the Pilots are just 2-6, with their last win coming against Montana State back on Dec. 22.
- The Pilots have two players averaging double digits in scoring — Ahmed Ali (17.8), and Eddie Davis (12.1). Ali is also leading the team in assists with 3.1, while Davis leads the team in rebounds with 5.2
Head Coach – Terry Porter
- Alma Mater: Wisconsin Stevens-Point, 1984
- Division I Career Record: 43-99 (5th Season)
- Record at San Francisco: 43-99 (5th Season)
- All-Time Series: BYU leads 22-2
- Last Meeting: BYU won 85-54, 2/6/2020
- BYU had two four-game win streaks against Portland in the first 10 years as a member of the West Coast Conference, but the Cougars have now won nine straight. The Pilots’ last win came during the 2015-16 season.
- TV: CBS Sports Network
- TV Talent: Carter Blackburn and Avery Johnson
- Radio: BYU Sports Network, BYU Radio Sirius XM 143/89.1 FM HD2, KSL 102.7 FM/1160 AM
- Streamed Audio: BYURadio.org, BYUCougars.com/LiveRadio and the BYU Radio, BYUCougars and BYU Gameday apps
- Radio Talent: Greg Wrubell (play-by-play), Mark Durrant (analyst)
- Live Stats: BYUcougars.com
BYU men's basketball has released its full 2021-22 men's basketball schedule on Tuesday.
BYU men’s basketball will hold walk-on tryouts on Sept. 18 from 8-10 a.m. MDT in the Marriott Center.
The West Coast Conference released its 2021-22 men's basketball conference schedule on Wednesday.
BYU men’s basketball head coach Mark Pope announced today that junior guard Seneca Knight will join the team as a…