BYU to take on Pacific Saturday at Home
PROVO, Utah – BYU men’s basketball will face Pacific (5-3, 2-2) in a quickly-scheduled game on Saturday, adjusting after the Cougars' original opponent, San Francisco, paused team activities earlier this week. The Cougars are coming off of a tough loss in a Wednesday matinee at Pepperdine.
The BYU-Pacific game will air on CBS Sports Network at 4 p.m. MST. It will also be broadcast live on the BYU Sports Network on BYU Radio – Sirius XM 143/89.1 FM HD2 and KSL 102.7 FM/1160 AM.
BYU Notes (13-4, 4-2 West Coast Conference)
- The Cougars are 13-4, most recently falling to Pepperdine 76-73 in a back-and-forth battle in Malibu.
- BYU has wins over Pepperdine, San Francisco, Saint Mary’s, Weber State, Texas Southern, No. 18 San Diego State, Utah, Utah State, St. John’s, Utah Valley, New Orleans and Westminster. The four losses were to USC, Boise State, No. 1 Gonzaga and Pepperdine.
- BYU is led by senior guard Alex Barcello who is averaging 14.9 points, 4.5 assists and 4.4 rebounds per game. Barcello has been among the top three-point shooters in the nation this season, but he's looking to bounce back from a cold streak that has him 1-for-his-last-11 from beyond the arc. Barcello had a streak of 29 consecutive free throws made snapped last game.
- Matt Haarms and Brandon Averette, BYU's other two senior leaders along with Barcello, are the next behind Barcello in scoring with 11.1 and 10.3 points per game respectively.
- BYU's bench production has been big this season, outscoring opponents in 16 of 17 games played.
- Spencer Johnson led the Cougars in scoring in Wednesday's game against Pepperdine with 15 points off the bench. Johnson is the seventh different BYU player to lead BYU in scoring in a game this season.
- BYU has never lost back-to-back games in the Mark Pope era and has the third-longest active streak of games played without consecutive losses at 51. The two teams above them are Houston (117) and Gonzaga (74).
Head Coach – Mark Pope
- Alma Mater: Kentucky, 1996
- Division I Career Record: 114-68 (6th season)
- Record at BYU: 37-12 (2nd season)
Pacific Notes (5-3, 2-2 West Coast Conference)
- Pacific is 5-3, after back-to-back losses on the road to Gonzaga and Pepperdine last week.
- Pacific has wins this season over UC Riverside, Montana State, Westmont College, Santa Clara and LMU. Its losses have come to Nevada, Pepperdine and Gonzaga.
- The Tigers have played less than half the amount of games this season as the Cougars. From Dec. 4 through Jan. 13, Pacific played just one game, having 11 games cancelled or postponed.
- Pacific is led by guard Dannis Jenkins who is averaging 13.6 points per game. Jenkins was Pacific's first ever WCC All Freshman Team selection last season.
- Forward Jeremiah Bailey and guard Broc Finstuen are next for the Tigers with 10.3 and 10.0 points per game respectively.
Head Coach – Damon Stoudamire
- Alma Mater: Arizona, 1995
- Division I Career Record: 67-71 (5th Season)
- Record at Pepperdine: 67-71 (5th Season)
- All-Time Series: BYU leads 10-6
- Last Meeting: BYU won 74-60, 1/23/2020
- TV: CBS Sports Network
- TV Talent: Jason Horowitz (play-by-play), Chris Walker (analyst)
- Radio: BYU Sports Network, BYU Radio Sirius XM 143/89.1 FM HD2, KSL 102.7 FM/1160 AM
- Streamed Audio: BYURadio.org, BYUCougars.com/LiveRadio and the BYU Radio, BYUCougars and BYU Gameday apps
- Radio Talent: Greg Wrubell (play-by-play)
- Live Stats: BYUcougars.com