BYU to Take on Pacific Thursday on the Road
PROVO, Utah – BYU men’s basketball will face Pacific (6-6, 3-5) Thursday night at the Alex G. Spanos Center in Stockton, Calif. The Cougars are coming off of an 82-71 loss to No. 1 Gonzaga more than a week ago, and have not played since then due to a pair of postponed matchups this past week.
The BYU-Pacific game will air on CBS Sports Network at 5 p.m. PST. It will also be broadcast live on the BYU Sports Network on BYU Radio – Sirius XM 143/89.1 FM HD2 and KSL 102.7 FM/1160 AM.
BYU Notes (15-5, 6-3 West Coast Conference)
- The Cougars are 15-5, most recently falling to No. 1 Gonzaga at home on Feb. 8.
- BYU is No. 2 in the WCC standings.
- BYU has wins over Portland (twice), Pacific, Pepperdine, San Francisco, Saint Mary’s, Weber State, Texas Southern, No. 18 San Diego State, Utah, Utah State, St. John’s, Utah Valley, New Orleans and Westminster. The four losses were to USC, Boise State, No. 1 Gonzaga (twice) and Pepperdine.
- BYU is led by senior guard Alex Barcello who is averaging 15.5 points, 4.6 assists and 4.6 rebounds per game. Barcello has been among the top three-point shooters in the nation this season, but has cooled off a bit recently. He led BYU in scoring against Gonzaga with 20 points. It was his eighth performance with 20+ points this season.
- Brandon Averette and Matt Haarms, BYU’s other two senior leaders along with Barcello, are the next behind Barcello in scoring with 11.4 and 10.8 points per game respectively.
- BYU’s bench production has been big this season, outscoring opponents in 18 of 20 games played.
- BYU has never lost back-to-back games in the Mark Pope era and has the third-longest active streak of games played without consecutive losses at 54. The two teams above them are Houston and Gonzaga.
Head Coach – Mark Pope
- Alma Mater: Kentucky, 1996
- Division I Career Record: 116-69 (6th season)
- Record at BYU: 39-13 (2nd season)
Pacific Notes (6-6, 3-5 West Coast Conference)
- Pacific is 6-6, with its most recent result being an 80-76 loss at LMU last Saturday.
- Pacific is No. 7 in the WCC standings.
- The Tigers have lost five of their last six games, after starting the season 5-1.
- Pacific has wins this season over UC Riverside, Montana State, Westmont College, Santa Clara, LMU and Portland. Its losses have come to Nevada, Pepperdine, Gonzaga (twice), BYU and LMU.
- The Tigers have played only 12 games this season. From Dec. 4 through Jan. 13, Pacific played just one game, and have had a total of 15 games cancelled or postponed this season.
- Pacific is led by guard Dannis Jenkins who is averaging 12.9 points per game. Jenkins was Pacific’s first ever WCC All Freshman Team selection last season.
- Forward Jeremiah Bailey is right behind Jenkins, averaging 12.3 points per game. He’s coming off of a career-high 28 points scored last Saturday against LMU.
Head Coach – Damon Stoudamire
- Alma Mater: Arizona, 1995
- Division I Career Record: 68-74 (5th Season)
- Record at Pepperdine: 68-74 (5th Season)
- All-Time Series: BYU leads 11-6
- Last Meeting: BYU won 95-87 in double overtime on Jan. 30 in Provo
- TV: CBS Sports Network
- TV Talent: Rich Waltz (play-by-play), Dan Dikau (analyst)
- Radio: BYU Sports Network, BYU Radio Sirius XM 143/89.1 FM HD2, KSL 102.7 FM/1160 AM
- Streamed Audio: BYURadio.org, BYUCougars.com/LiveRadio and the BYU Radio, BYUCougars and BYU Gameday apps
- Radio Talent: Greg Wrubell (play-by-play)
- Live Stats: BYUcougars.com