Kenny Cox | Posted: 29 Dec 2011 | Updated: 8 Nov 2020
BYU vs. Saint Mary's: Game Notes and Quotes
- Noah Hartsock scored on 5 of his 6 shots for 11 points in the first half and finished the game with 13 points.
- Brandon Davies played hard in the first half, scoring 15 points and nabbing 3 steals. Davies set career highs for the game in points (28), field goals made (11), field goal attempts (18) and steals (5). Davies also added 7 rebounds.
- Playing with 3 fouls in the first half, Charles Abouo scored 7 points on 3 of 4 shooting. Abouo finished with 9 points.
- Matt Carlino scored 13 points and had 6 assists. He has scored in double figures in every game of his career through five games. He has also made at least 3 treys in 4 of 5 games and had at least 6 assists in 3 of 5 games. Carlino also collected 4 boards.
- Head coach Dave Rose went with a starting lineup of Matt Carlino, Brock Zylstra, Charles Abouo, Noah Hartsock and Brandon Davies.
- Two players scored in double figures in the first half. Davies scored 15 points and Hartsock added 11. Davies finished with 28, Hartsock had 13 and Carlino added 13 points for the game.
- BYU assisted on 11 of 19 baskets in the first half. The Cougars finished with 16 on 33 makes for the game.
- BYU assisted on 5 of its first 6 baskets to take a 14-12 lead with just under 12 minutes remaining in the first half.
- Craig Cusick came in off the bench and caught an inbounds pass on the same possession and knocked down a wide-open trey to give BYU a 23-22 lead with 8:33 left until halftime, the Cougars last lead of the game.
- Saint Mary’s outscored BYU 13-4 in the first five minutes of the second half.
- A steal and a layup finish by Brock Zylsta trimmed a once 20-point lead down to 10 at 80-70 with just over 6 minutes remaining but the Cougars couldn’t get any closer for the game.