Kenny Cox | Posted: 11 Feb 2012 | Updated: 8 Nov 2020
BYU vs. Pepperdine: Game Notes and Quotes
- Charles Abouo went off in the first half for 17 points, 9 rebounds and 1 steal. Abouo finished with a double-double, scoring a season-high 23 points and grabbing 12 boards. The senior drained a career-high 5 treys and picked up 2 assists, 2 steals and 1 block.
- Brandon Davies scored 13 points, his 15th-straight game in double figures and 22nd time this year. He added 7 rebounds, 2 assists and 2 blocks.
- Anson Winder hit his first two shots, both 3-pointers. He finished with 10 points, made three 3-pointers and had 3 rebounds and 1 assist.
- Matt Carlino scored 10 points to go along with 6 assists and tied a career high with 3 steals.
- Noah Hartsock picked up 3 blocks to pass Russell Larson for third place at BYU in career blocks with 167. The senior also had 9 points, 5 boards, 3 assists and 1 steal.
- Head coach Dave Rose went with the starting lineup of Matt Carlino, Anson Winder, Charles Abouo, Noah Hartsock and Brandon Davies.
- BYU hit more 3-pointers (12) than it did in the previous three games combined and tied for the most treys in a game since Jan. 7 vs. San Francisco when the team made 12, a stretch of 9 games. The Cougars had made just 17 threes total over 6 games coming into tonight’s matchup.
- Every BYU player that saw time on the floor scored at least 3 points for the Cougars. (10 players)
- With a 38-point victory (86-48), BYU recorded its largest margin of victory this season.
- BYU started the game off with a shooting clinic, knocking down its first four shots, including three treys for a 12-2 lead with 16:19 remaining in the first half.
- A 19-2 run stretched the Cougar lead to 31-7 in the first half with 9:03 left until halftime.
- BYU used 6 treys in the first half to carry the Cougars to a 46-25 halftime lead.
- Outscoring the Waves 21-6 in the first 8 minutes of the second half, BYU pushed its lead to 67-31.
- The Cougars continued to roll, pushing their lead to as many as 46 at one point, outscoring Pepperdine 40-23 in the second half to come away with an 86-48 win.
BYU Head Coach Dave Rose
“I’m really happy for our guys. I think the players worked really hard, especially this week with the bye, and it paid off. We played really well both individually and collectively.”
“Because Charles wasn’t in foul trouble he was able to play back-to-back minutes and it really helped him get in the flow of the game. His time has been broken up over the past three to four weeks and it really helped us that he was able to stay in the game today.”
“Our guys spent a lot of time on the three-point shooting and with the bye they had fresh legs and were able to control the pace of the game.”
BYU Player Quotes
“When you get in a good rhythm, that’s when you are able to make those shots. In practice we have been focusing on shooting the ball and shooting it with confidence and that’s the big thing we did today. Everyone came out and shot with confidence and we were able to make some good shots.”
“It felt good tonight to come out and have a good start. We came out with a lot of energy and the guys did a great job getting stops and some easy baskets.”
Pepperdine Head Coach Marty Wilson
“It was tough. They shot the ball well and that is something that they haven’t been doing recently. We wanted to challenge them to shoot well. They hit some early and they got momentum and it became contagious. The crowd got into it and it was hard to stop the bleeding after that.”