BYU basketball returns to the Marriott Center this week and will host Utah in a Deseret First Duel matchup on Saturday at 7 p.m. MST. The game will be broadcast on KSL Newsradio 102.7 FM and 1160 AM and televised on BYUtv.
BYU Cougars (5-3, 0-0 WCC)
- Head Coach: Dave Rose
- Alma Mater: Houston, 1983
- Division I Career Record: 190-57 (8th)
- Record at BYU: Same
Utah Utes (6-2, 0-0 Pac 12)
Head Coach: Larry Krystkowiak
Alma Mater: Montana, 1996
Division I Career Record: 54-47 (4th)
Record at Utah: 12-27 (2nd)
- TV: BYUtv
- TV Talent: Dave McCann (play-by-play), Steve Cleveland (analyst), Robbie Bullough (reporter)
- Live Video: byutvsports.com
- Radio: KSL 102.7 FM / 1160 AM, BYU Radio - Sirius XM 143
- Radio Talent: Greg Wrubell (play-by-play), Mark Durrant (analyst)
- Live Audio: KSL.com
- Live Stats: BYUcougars.com
- Series Record: BYU leads 128-125
- Last Meeting: BYU won 61-42, 12/10/11
- H/A/N: 71-47/51-73/6-5
|Utah Utes (6-2, 0-0 Pac 12)|
|BYU Cougars (5-3, 0-0 WCC)|
- Tyler Haws is ranked in the top 15 in nine of the 13 statistical categories tracked by the West Coast Conference. He is the only player in the WCC among the top 15 in all of the following categories: scoring, rebounding, assists, assist/turnover ratio, steals, field goal percentage, free throw percentage, 3-point field goal percentage.
- Craig Cusick and Agustin Ambrosino made their first starts of the season against Cal State Northridge, replacing Matt Carlino and Josh Sharp in the starting five. For Cusick it was his fourth career start and for Ambrosino his first. Cusick has remained a starter while Sharp has returned to the lineup.
- Josh Sharp had his best game as a Cougar against Montana, posting a season-high 13 points on 6 of 8 shooting and adding 8 rebounds.
- Tyler Haws’s 32 points against Cal State Northridge are the most points by a BYU player since Jimmer Fredette scored 32 vs. Florida in the NCAA Tournament on March 24, 2011. The only other Cougar to score 30 or more since Fredette was Matt Carlino, who scored 30 at San Francisco last season on Feb. 16, 2012.
- The Cougars played one of their best all-around games against Montana, posting a season-low seven turnovers and season highs of 85 points, nine threes and 27 free throw attempts. The .517 shooting percentage and 11 steals were the second-best marks in their respective categories this season.
Rose vs. the state
BYU basketball coach Dave Rose has compiled a record of 24-6 vs. instate opponents since taking over in 2005-06. He has the best winning percentage (.800) of any coach vs. instate teams during that time and the second-most wins (Utah State’s Stew Morrill is 25-8 vs. instate teams since 2005-06 for a .758 winning percentage). BYU hosts Utah State and Utah on Dec. 5 and 8, respectively, and plays at Weber State on Dec. 15.
Fast start for Tyler Haws
|Name||Class||Season||Consecutive 20-Point Games (point totals)|
|Devin Durrant||Senior||1983-84||7 (28, 35, 20, 35, 23, 33, 27)|
|Tyler Haws||Sophomore||2012-13||6 (22, 22, 23, 21, 32)|
|Danny Ainge||Senior||1980-81||5 (24, 22, 22, 29, 29)|
|Kresimir Cosic||Junior||1971-72||5 (30, 31, 33, 23, 30)|
|Michael Smith||Senior||1988-89||5 (24, 29, 30, 33, 20)|
Davies does it all
Brandon Davies stuffed the stat sheet in the opener against Tennessee State, tallying 16 points, 7 rebounds, 3 assists, 4 blocks and 2 steals while drawing 3 charges. He did it again vs. Georgia State with 28 points, 9 rebounds, 3 assists, 3 blocks and 2 steals. Davies had maybe his most complete game against Montana with 21 points, 10 rebounds, 6 assists, 2 blocks and 4 steals. Through eight games he is averaging 18.8 points, 7.5 rebounds, 3.1 assists, 1.8 blocks and 1.4 steals. Last season he became the second Cougar in history to average at least one of everything (points, rebounds, assists, steals and blocks). Russell Larson is the only other BYU player to produce a ‘one of everything’ season and did so twice, in 1993-94 and 1994-95 (blocks and steals were not tracked until the 1977-78 season).
BYU head coach Dave Rose has led BYU to its most successful eight-year run since taking over in 2005. His career record of 190-57 ranks him second in BYU history in total victories and first in winning percentage (.769). Rose has been named conference coach of the year three times, district coach of the year twice and has guided the Cougars to four conference titles, six NCAA Tournament appearances and six 25-win seasons. In 2010 he led BYU to its first NCAA Tournament win in 17 years and the Cougars have also won at least one tournament game in the two seasons since, including a trip to the Sweet 16 in 2011.
BYU men's basketball has released its full 2021-22 men's basketball schedule on Tuesday.
BYU men’s basketball will hold walk-on tryouts on Sept. 18 from 8-10 a.m. MDT in the Marriott Center.
The West Coast Conference released its 2021-22 men's basketball conference schedule on Wednesday.
BYU men’s basketball head coach Mark Pope announced today that junior guard Seneca Knight will join the team as a…