PROVO, Utah – After a late-night match Friday, the No. 50 BYU men’s tennis team earned its second victory in as many nights, topping regional opponent No. 52 Denver 5-1 on Saturday evening at the BYU Indoor Tennis Courts.
“It was a great team win over another ranked opponent,” head coach Brad Pearce said. “This match was important to us and I’m proud of how our guys fought.”
The Cougars (9-2) improved their record to 4-2 against ranked teams.
The competition proved to be well balanced as three singles matches went to three sets.
BYU started off with a doubles win as teammates and No. 59-ranked Patrick Kawka and Francis Sargeant defeated Enej Bonin and Max Krammer 8-5. But Denver answered with a doubles win of their own as Travis Fillmore and Spencer Smith fell short.
On Court 3, sophomore Keaton Cullimore and freshman John Pearce played a match that went down to the wire. The BYU duo eventually pulled out the 8-7 (7) victory to give BYU the first point of the night.
With that win, the Cougars’ momentum carried into singles play. On Court 2, Smith defeated Jens Vorkefled in straight sets 6-4, 7-6 (4) to put another point on the board for BYU.
On Court 1, No. 74 Kawka came from behind to upset No. 47 Bonin 6-7 (4), 6-1, 6-0. Then Sargeant clinched the BYU win as he squeaked past Krammer 6-3, 4-6, 6-2.
“I though Spencer’s win was the key match,” coach Pearce said. “I think that took a lot of the fight out of [Denver].”
BYU hosts in-state rival Utah next Saturday at 5:30 p.m. MST at the BYU Indoor Tennis Courts.
1. Kawka/Sargeant (BYU) def. Bonin/Krammer (DEN) 8-5
2. Craig/Vorkefeld (DEN) def. Fillmore/Smith (BYU) 8-5
3. Cullimore/Pearce (BYU) def. Clinkenbeard/Biasion (DEN) 8-7(7)
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3
1. Patrick Kawka (BYU) def. Enej Bonin (DEN) 6-7 (4), 6-1, 6-0
2. Spencer Smith (BYU) def. Jens Vorkefeld (DEN) 6-4, 7-6 (4)
3. Francis Sargeant (BYU) def. Max Krammer (DEN) 6-3, 4-6, 6-2
4. Henry Craig (DEN) def. Keaton Cullimore (BYU) 6-3, 2-6, 7-6 (5)
5. Andrey Goryachkov (BYU) vs Alex Clinkenbeard (DEN) 2-3 (DNF)
6. John Pearce (BYU) def. Fabio Biasion 2-1 (Ret.)
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3, 4, 6