AaronS | Posted: 9 Mar 2013 | Updated: 8 Nov 2020
PROVO, Utah- In its second conference match of the year, the No. 39 BYU men’s tennis team topped No. 47 San Diego 4-3 on Saturday at the BYU Indoor Tennis Courts.
"I think getting the doubles point was key, it gave us some good momentum," BYU head coach Brad Pearce said. "San Diego is a very good team. It's a great win for this program and for the guys."
With its win over San Diego (6-4, 0-1 West Coast Conference), BYU (12-4, 2-0 WCC) improves to 8-0 at home this year.
In doubles play, sophomore Keaton Cullimore and freshman John Pearce clinched the first victory of the day as they defeated Andrew Carlisle and Ciaran Fitzgerald 8-4 on Court 3. Freshman Scott Bohne and senior Spencer Smith teamed up for the first time this season but fell short in their doubles debut.
With an 8-5 win on Court 1, the No. 50 doubles team of Patrick Kawka and Francis Sargeant clinched the doubles point.
In singles, No. 47 Kawka earned the second point for the Cougars as he topped Thibaut Visy 6-3, 6-4.
The Toreros answered with a point of their own on Court 2 as Romain Kalayjian beat Smith in three sets 4-6, 6-4, 6-3. On Court 3, Sargeant was down one set and 4-0 in the second but fought back to end the match with a 4-6, 7-5, 6-1 victory over No. 82 Clarke Spinosa.
Cullimore secured the BYU victory and won his fourth straight match by defeating No. 112 Uros Petronijeciv 7-5, 2-6, 6-3 on Court 4.
BYU returns to action next Saturday at noon when it hosts New Mexico.
1. #50 Kawka/Sargeant (BYU) def. Spinosa/Visy (USD) 8-5
2. Kalaydjian/Petronijeciv (USD) def. Bohne/Smith 8-5
3. Cullimore/Pearce (BYU) def. Carlisle/Fitzgerald (USD) 8-4
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1
1. #47 Patrick Kawka (BYU) def. Thibaut Visy (USD) 6-3, 6-4
2. Romain Kalayjian (USD) def. Spencer Smith (BYU) 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
3. Francis Sargeant (BYU) def. #82 Clarke Spinosa (USD) 4-6, 7-5, 6-1
4. Keaton Cullimore (BYU) def. #112 Uros Petronijeciv (USD) 7-5, 2-6, 6-3
5. Victor Pugliese (USD) def. Andrey Goryachkov (BYU) 6-7(6), 7-5, 1-0 (10-4)
6. Ciaran Fitzgerald (USD) def. John Pearce (BYU) 7-5, 6-1
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 5
Francis Sargeant - M Tennis Keaton Cullimore Athlete Profile - MTEN Patrick Kawka Athlete Profile - MTEN Andrey Goryachkov Athlete Profile - MTEN John Pearce - M Tennis Scott Bohne Athlete Profile - MTEN Francis Sargeant - M Tennis Spencer Smith Athlete Profile - MTEN