mperry | Posted: 9 Jan 2014 | Updated: 8 Nov 2020
BYU Menâ€™s Tennis 2013-14 Season Preview
PROVO, Utah--After a third trip to the NCAA tournament in the last four years, the No. 45 BYU men’s tennis team looks to make it back to the postseason by maintaining a national ranking and taking the top spot in the West Coast Conference.
- The Cougars earned a 21-7 (7-1 WCC) record in 2013. BYU advanced past Loyola Marymount and San Diego in the first two rounds of the WCC tournament prior to suffering a close loss to Pepperdine in the championship.
- With a No. 45 national ranking to begin the 2014 season, BYU has been ranked 17 consecutive seasons.
- In Mountain Region rankings, singles player Francis Sargeant is No. 8, and the doubles team of Sargeant and Andrey Goryachkov are No. 5.
- Eight new freshmen join the team this year in Jeremy Bourgeois, Juan Canales, Aidan Carrazedo, Matthew Cravinhos, Sterling Galli, Matthew Pearce, Robin Pfister and Jacob Sullivan.
- Returning players are junior Sargeant and sophomores Nikki Rae and Goryachkov.
- The roster includes players from Australia, England, Mexico, Russia, South Africa and the United States.
- Sargeant is the team captain. In 2013, he finished with a 29-10 record with a .743 winning percentage.
- The schedule includes 12 matches against opponents who are nationally ranked, two being in the top 15.
Nikki Rae Athlete Profile - MTEN Francis Sargeant - M Tennis Jeremy Bourgeois Athlete Profile - MTEN Matthew Cravinhos Athlete Profile - MTEN Matthew Pearce - M Tennis Robin Pfister - M Tennis Aidan Carrazedo Athlete Profile - MTEN Andrey Goryachkov Athlete Profile - MTEN Sterling Galli Athlete Profile - MTEN Juan Canales - M Tennis Jacob Sullivan Athlete Profile - MTEN Francis Sargeant - M Tennis