mperry | Posted: 28 Mar 2014 | Updated: 8 Nov 2020
PROVO, Utah -- Despite the play of captain Francis Sargeant and freshman Matthew Pearce, BYU men’s tennis suffered a 5-2 loss against Loyola Marymount, Friday.
The Cougars (7-11) fell to 1-2 in West Coast Conference play, while the Lions (11-6) improved to 3-2 in the conference.
“We had some good performances from Francis(Sargeant) and Matthew(Pearce) today,” BYU head coach Brad Pearce said. “They won their doubles match, Frankie took care of business in straight sets on his court, and Matthew won.”
In doubles action, LMU took the point as BYU fell at the first and third spots by the score of 8-5 in both matches.
At second doubles, Sargeant and Pearce dominated with an 8-4 win over Luke Bohuslav and Daniel Simko.
With the Lions up 1-0, the gap widened as Jacob Sullivan fell at No. 6 singles, 6-2, 6-2. The freshman Pearce helped the Cougars claw back, coasting by Luke Bohuslav 6-3, 6-2.
At No. 1 singles, Sargeant cruised in a two-set win over David Doehring, 6-3, 6-3, chipping away at the 3-1 deficit.
Sophomore Andrey Goryachkov was ousted at No. 2 singles in straight sets as LMU clinched the match.
“I think we’re just going to focus on our bright spots right now,” coach Pearce said. “I think Francis and Matthew did a great job and they’re coming along nicely. Clearly, we need to get some guys performing better in doubles play and get productivity out of every position. That’s what we’re searching for.”
BYU continues WCC play at home against No. 49 Pepperdine Saturday at 1 p.m. MDT. Live statistics is available on the BYU Athletics website, BYUCougars.com.
Tennis Match Results
Loyola Marymount vs Brigham Young
Mar 28, 2014 at BYU
(Outdoor Tennis Courts)
Loyola Marymount 5, Brigham Young 2
1. SARGEANT, Francis (BYU) def. DOEHRING, David (LMU) 6-3, 6-3
2. VOLMARI, Todd (LMU) def. GORYACHKOV, Andrey (BYU) 6-3, 7-5
3. BUSTAMANTE, Sebas. (LMU) def. BOURGEOIS, Jeremy (BYU) 4-6, 7-5, 1-0 (10-6)
4. RIVERA, Cristobal (LMU) def. PFISTER, Robin (BYU) 6-3, 6-4
5. PEARCE, Matthew (BYU) def. BOHUSLAV, Luke (LMU) 6-3, 6-2
6. SIMKO, Daniel (LMU) def. SULLIVAN, Jacob (BYU) 6-2, 6-2
1. VOLMARI, Todd/BUSTAMANTE, Sebas. (LMU) def. GORYACHKOV, Andrey/PFISTER, Robin (BYU) 8-5
2. SARGEANT, Francis/PEARCE, Matthew (BYU) def. BOHUSLAV, Luke/SIMKO, Daniel (LMU) 8-4
3. DOEHRING, David/RIVERA, Cristobal (LMU) def. BOURGEOIS, Jeremy/SULLIVAN, Jacob (BYU) 8-5
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (6,5,4,1,2,3)