mperry | Posted: 12 Apr 2014 | Updated: 8 Nov 2020
SAN DIEGO -- In its final regular-season road match, BYU men’s tennis fell to No. 49 first-place San Diego, 6-1, in West Coast Conference action Saturday.
“We lost to a good team on their home courts,” BYU head coach Brad Pearce said. “We won a doubles match and a singles match, so their were some bright spots.”
The Cougars (8-14, 2-5 WCC) fell behind early to the Toreros (12-7, 6-0 WCC), falling in two of three doubles matches.
Junior Francis Sargeant and freshman Matthew Pearce edged Uros Petronijevic and Romain Kalaydjian 8-6 for the Cougar doubles win.
Freshman Aidan Carrazedo picked up the singles win for BYU at the No. 6 slot. The South African took the first set 6-2 and then fell in the second in the tiebreaker 6-7(6). Carrazedo pulled out the win in the shortened third set, 1-0(7).
In singles, 57th-ranked Clarke Spinosa proved to be too much for the captain Sargeant as he fell, 6-1, 6-3.
“We competed well at every position so I was pleased with that,” coach Pearce said. “We're looking forward to being at home next weekend to finish out conference play.”
The Cougars return home to finish out the regular season against Portland Friday and Gonzaga Saturday, before the WCC Championships April 23-26.
San Diego 6, Brigham Young 1
2. Francis Sargeant/Matt Pearce (BYU) def. Uros Petronijevic/Romain Kalaydjian (USD) 8-6
3. Ciaran Fitzgerald/Andrew Raphaelson (USD) def. Jake Sullivan/Jeremy Bourgeois (BYU) 8-3
1. #57 Clarke Spinosa (USD) def. Francis Sargeant (BYU) 6-1, 6-3
2. Uros Petronijevic (USD) def. Andrey Goryachkov (BYU) 6-2, 7-5
3. Filip Vittek (USD) def. Jeremy Bourgeois (BYU) 6-4, 6-2
4. Romain Kalaydjian (USD) def. Matt Pearce (BYU) 6-4, 6-4
5. Ciaran Fitzgerald (USD) def. Jake Sullivan (BYU) 6-4, 6-2
6. Aidan Carrazedo (BYU) def. Andrew Raphaelson (USD) 6-2, 6-7(6), 1-0(7)
Order of finish: Doubles (1, 3, 2); Singles (4, 3, 1, 2, 5, 6)