mperry | Posted: 18 Apr 2014 | Updated: 8 Nov 2020
PROVO, Utah -- Junior Francis Sargeant and freshman Matthew Pearce led the way with a doubles victory and individual singles wins as BYU men’s tennis dominated Gonzaga, 7-0, in the opening match of the final homestand Friday.
The Cougars (9-14) improved to 3-5 in West Coast Conference play while the Bulldogs (9-12) dropped to 0-8 in the league.
“I think we were prepared,” BYU head coach Brad Pearce said. “It looked like we were hungry, which we should be. A win’s a win. We don’t care how they come or where they come, we just want them.”
From the start of the match, BYU came out in a flurry. The captain Sargeant and teammate Pearce quickly secured a win at No. 2 doubles, 8-3.
Freshmen Jacob Sullivan and Jeremy Bourgeois followed by topping Pablo Mosquera Perez and Hayden Smith at the third slot, 8-5. Sophomore Andrey Goryachkov and freshman Robin Pfister finished the doubles sweep with an 8-6 win at No. 1.
With the momentum in their favor, the Cougars blanked the Bulldogs in singles, winning every set.
Pearce led out of the gate from the fourth position, cruising past Jack Schoebel, 6-3, 6-1. Fellow freshman Aidan Carrazedo then stifled his opponent at No. 6 singles, 6-4, 6-0.
With the match at 3-0 in BYU’s favor, the junior Sargeant provided the clincher as he overpowered Nick Kamisar in straight sets, 6-2, 6-2.
After clinching the win, the Cougars completed the match sweep for the second time this season.
Bourgeois took care of Vladimir Mijatovic, 6-4, 6-2, prior to Goryachkov defeating his opponent 6-1, 6-3. Sullivan needed a little more to secure the win against Muzeen Ismath and the sweep, but the Australian dug deep in the second set to come out on top, 6-2, 7-6.
“I think it’ll be great for everybody to feel what it’s like to get this win,” coach Pearce said. “We want to be ready for tomorrow. Our goal was to go into the conference tournament with two wins behind us and be dangerous next week. We hope to build on the momentum of today.”
BYU wraps up WCC regular season play against No. 75 Portland in its final home match Saturday at 1 p.m. MDT. Live stats are available on the BYU Athletics website, BYUCougars.com.
Brigham Young 7, Gonzaga 0
1. SARGEANT, Francis (BYU) def. Nick Kamisar (GON) 6-2, 6-2
2. GORYACHKOV, Andrey (BYU) def. Hayden Smith (GON) 6-1, 6-3
3. BOURGEOIS, Jeremy (BYU) def. Vladimir Mijatovic (GON) 6-4, 6-2
4. PEARCE, Matthew (BYU) def. Jack Schoebel (GON) 6-3, 6-1
5. SULLIVAN, Jacob (BYU) def. Muzeen Ismath (GON) 6-2, 7-6
6. CARRAZEDO, Aidan (BYU) def. Pablo Mosquera Perez (GON) 6-4, 6-0
1. GORYACHKOV, Andrey/PFISTER, Robin (BYU) def. Jack Schoebel/Muzeen Ismath (GON) 8-6
2. SARGEANT, Francis/PEARCE, Matthew (BYU) def. Joey Brandt/Vladimir Mijatovic (GON) 8-3
3. SULLIVAN, Jacob/BOURGEOIS, Jeremy (BYU) def. Pablo Mosquera Perez/Hayden Smith (GON) 8-5
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (4,6,1,3,2,5)