jkitchen | Posted: 2 Mar 2015 | Updated: 8 Nov 2020
BOISE, Idaho – Freshman Shane Monroe picked up the lone point for the Cougars in a 4-1 loss at No. 72 Boise State Saturday night in Boise.
Francis Sargeant and Andrey Goryachkov got BYU (7-7) off to a good start in doubles as they were first off the courts with a 6-3 victory at No. 1. However, the Broncos would take the next two matches to secure the doubles point, winning both 6-3.
Boise State (5-8) carried that momentum into singles play and took the first two matches to open up a commanding 3-0 lead. Juane Canales fell at No. 6 singles to Abe Hewko 6-2, 6-3 and Jeremy Bourgeois lost at No. 4 singles 6-2, 6-4.
Monroe finally got the Cougars on the board with his victory over Toby Mitchell at No. 3 singles 7-5, 6-3 but the Broncos would clinch the match shortly thereafter when Boise State’s Lewis Roskilly defeated Aidan Carrazedo 6-4, 7-5. The match was called when the Broncos clinched it, but Sargeant and Goryachkov were both winning in the third set playing at No. 1 and 2 singles, respectively, at the time.
The loss is the fifth consecutive for BYU. The squad will return home and look to right the ship against rival Utah Friday at 5:30 p.m. and will host their second conference matchup when Santa Clara comes to town Saturday at 5:30 p.m. Admission is free and live stats and video will be available through the BYU men’s schedule page.
Boise State def. Brigham Young 4-1
Order of finish: 1,2,3
1. Garrett Patton (BSU) vs. Francis Sargeant (BYU) 4-6, 6-3, 0-2, unfinished
2. Thomas Tenreiro (BSU) vs. Andrey Goryachkov (BYU) 1-6, 6-3, 3-4, unfinished
3. Shane Monroe (BYU) def. Toby Mitchell (BSU) 7-5, 6-3
4. Brian Foley (BSU) def. Jeremy Bourgeois (BYU) 6-2, 6-4
5. Lewis Roskilly (BSU) def. Aidan Carrazedo (BYU) 6-4, 7-5
6. Abe Hewko (BSU) def. Juan Canales (BYU) 6-2, 6-3
Order of finish: 6,4,3,5