PROVO, Utah – BYU men's tennis recorded its first West Coast Conference victory of the season over San Francisco in a record-breaking win on Saturday night at the BYU indoor tennis courts.
“I’m really pleased we got 1-0 up on the scoreboard for the WCC,” BYU head coach Brad Pearce said. “I thought San Francisco fought hard. Once again, it came down to the No. 5 and No. 6 spots to get the match clinched. We had some really good performances this week."
With a win over the Dons, Pearce earned his 204th career win, passing his father, Wayne Pearce, as the all-time winningest coach in BYU men’s tennis history.
BYU (7-5, 1-0 WCC) got off to a strong start after securing back-to-back wins in doubles over San Francisco (2-4, 0-1 WCC). Keaton Cullimore and John Pearce topped Christian Brockstedt and Oliver Poysti, 6-1, while Aidan Carrazedo and Sam Tullis beat Ryan Marker and Paul Giraud, 6-3. Both Cougar duos went 2-0 on the weekend.
Carrying momentum from doubles into singles action, BYU recorded two quick straight-set victories. Jacob Sullivan dominated Marker 6-0, 6-2 at the No. 2 slot followed by a win from Matthew Pearce on court four, defeating Poysti 6-4, 6-1. The Dons answered with wins at first and third singles as Cullimore fell 6-1, 6-3 to Johan Joenhagen and Jeremy Bourgeois lost to Mert Zincirli, 6-4, 7-6(3). Tullis then defeated Woravin Kumthonkittikul 6-4, 6-2 to clinch the victory for the Cougars at No. 6 singles.
BYU hits the road to face Oregon and Drake next weekend.
Coach Pearce: Thoughts on the record-breaking win
“I don’t think anybody will fill my dad’s shoes in my eyes. He’s a great coach, father and role model. What an honor to be talked about in the same breath. I feel nothing but humility about that. It takes fighting like we did the past two nights to get wins like this. It says a lot about our players' grit and determination through the years. I’m just really proud of our guys.”
BYU Men's Tennis 4, USF 2
- JOENHAGEN, Johan (USF) def. CULLIMORE, Keaton (BYU) 6-1, 6-3
- SULLIVAN, Jacob (BYU) def. MARKER, Ryan (USF) 6-0, 6-2
- ZINCIRLI, Mert (USF) def. BOURGEOIS, Jeremy (BYU) 6-4, 7-6 (7-3)
- PEARCE, Matthew (BYU) def. POYSTI, Oliver (USF) 6-4, 6-1
- PEARCE, John (BYU) vs. BROCKSTEDT,Christian (USF) 7-5, 4-6, unfinished
- TULLIS, Sam (BYU) def. KUMTHONKITTIKUL, W. (USF) 6-4, 6-2
- SULLIVAN, Jacob/BOURGEOIS, Jeremy (BYU) vs. JOENHAGEN, Johan/ZINCIRLI, Mert (USF) 3-5, unfinished
- CULLIMORE, Keaton/PEARCE, John (BYU) def. BROCKSTEDT,Christian/POYSTI, Oliver (USF) 6-1
- CARRAZEDO, Aidan/TULLIS, Sam (BYU) def. MARKER, Ryan/GIRAUD, Paul (USF) 6-3
Match Notes: Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (2,4,1,3,6)
The BYU men’s tennis team finished the 2020-21 season with a 14-6 record, going 7-1 in West Coast Conference play for a…
Sean Hill, Ben Gajardo, Sam Tullis and Matheus Ferreira Leite were recognized for their success both in the classroom…
BYU men's tennis graduate senior Sean Hill fell to Finn Reynolds of Ole Miss 3-6, 3-6, at the USTA National Campus on…
BYU men's tennis graduate senior Sean Hill, who was originally listed as the No. 2 alternate, will compete in the NCAA…