The Aggies (8-6, 0-0 MWC) quickly claimed the doubles point over the Cougars (8-7, 1-0 WCC) as Jaime Barajas and Andrew Nakajima defeated Sam Tullis and Aidan Carrazedo, 6-2, followed by a win on court one as Matthew Pearce and Jeremy Bourgeois fell 6-3 to Kai Wehnelt and Samuel Serrano
In singles play, sophomore Matthew Pearce was the first off the court for BYU with a decisive 6-2, 6-1 win at fourth singles over Sergiu Bucur. Sullivan finished second with his 10th singles victory of the season with a 7-6(6), 6-4 win over Jack Swindells before Bourgeois fell in three sets to Barajas.
With the score tied 2-2, Cullimore came back to defeat Wehnelt, ranked No. 2 in the region, 1-6, 7-5, 7-6(6) at first singles, but Serrano outlasted John Pearce 7-6(4), 6-4 to tie the match again. Jonas Maier then clinched the match for Utah State as Carrazedo came up short, 6-2, 2-6, 6-1 at No. 6 singles.
Looking to earn their second conference win of the season, the Cougars return to the BYU indoor tennis courts to take on Santa Clara Saturday, March 4, at 5:30 p.m. MST.
Utah State 4, BYU 3
- Wehnelt/Serrano (USU) def. Bourgeois/M. Pearce (BYU) 6-3
- Swindells/Maier (USU) vs. Cullimore/J. Pearce (BYU) 5-4 (unfinished)
- Barajas/Nakajima (USU) def. Tullis/Carrazedo (BYU) 6-2
Order of finish: (3,1)
- Cullimore (BYU) def. Wehnelt (USU) 1-6, 7-5, 7-6 (8-6)
- Sullivan (BYU) def. Swindells (USU) 7-6 (8-6), 6-4
- Barajas (USU) def. Bourgeois (BYU) 6-4, 3-6, 7-6 (7-5)
- M. Pearce (BYU) def. Sergiu Bucur (USU) 6-2, 6-1
- Serrano (USU) def. J. Pearce (BYU) 7-6 (7-4), 6-4
- Maier (USU) def. Carrazedo (BYU) 6-2, 2-6, 6-1
Order of finish (4,2,3,1,5,6)
The BYU men’s tennis team finished the 2020-21 season with a 14-6 record, going 7-1 in West Coast Conference play for a…
Sean Hill, Ben Gajardo, Sam Tullis and Matheus Ferreira Leite were recognized for their success both in the classroom…
BYU men's tennis graduate senior Sean Hill fell to Finn Reynolds of Ole Miss 3-6, 3-6, at the USTA National Campus on…
BYU men's tennis graduate senior Sean Hill, who was originally listed as the No. 2 alternate, will compete in the NCAA…