LAS VEGAS- John Pearce posted the Cougars’ lone victory as BYU men’s tennis fell 4-1 to UNLV at the Fertitta Tennis Complex Saturday afternoon.
“I give credit to UNLV today,” BYU head coach Brad Pearce said. “They played a good match from the start of doubles through the conclusion of singles. With John’s win I felt we could get the job done in singles play because Jake (Sullivan) and Aidan (Carrazedo) were looking good. Time just ran out on us at the other positions. We’ll bounce back and be ready for our home match next Saturday against WCC opponent Pacific.”
UNLV (7-2, 0-0 Mountain West) dominated doubles play with two-consecutive 6-1 victories over BYU (9-8, 2-0 West Coast Conference) as Evaldo Neto and Jakob Amilon defeated Jeremy Bourgeois and Matthew Pearce. Courtney Lock and Ruben Alberts followed close behind with a win over Keaton Cullimore and John Pearce.
After winning the doubles point, the Rebels continued to overpower the Cougars in singles. Alberts topped Matthew Pearce 6-3, 6-4 on court three followed by another UNLV win as Bourgeois fell 6-2, 7-5 to Neto at the No. 4 slot.
Junior John Pearce stepped up for BYU, pulling out a strong 6-2, 6-4 victory at No. 5 singles over Lock, to put the Cougars on the board 3-1. Pearce’s win wasn’t enough, however, as Amilon clinched the match for the Rebels on court one with a 7-6(1), 6-2 victory over Cullimore.
Both Carrazedo and Sullivan were left on the courts after taking their matches into the third set when the match ended.
The Cougars return home to face conference foe Pacific on Saturday, March 18, at 12 p.m. MST.
UNLV 4 BYU 1
- Neto/Amilon (UNLV) def. Bourgeois/M. Pearce (BYU) 6-1
- Lock/Alberts (UNLV) def. Cullimore/J. Pearce (BYU) 6-1
- Solberg/Gage-Brown (UNLV) vs. Carrazedo/Sullivan (BYU) 4-3 (DNF)
Order of finish: (1,2)
- Amilon (UNLV) def. Cullimore (BYU) 7-6(1), 6-2
- Sullivan (BYU) vs. Cozbinov (UNLV) 6-4, 4-6, 3-2 (DNF)
- Alberts (UNLV) def. M. Pearce (BYU) 6-3, 6-4
- Neto (UNLV) def. Bourgeois (BYU) 6-2, 7-5
- J. Pearce (BYU) def. Lock (UNLV) 6-2, 6-4
- Carrazedo (BYU) vs. Solberg (UNLV) 2-6, 7-6(1), 2-1 (DNF)
Order of finish: (3,4,5,1)