PROVO, Utah – Early wins in doubles and singles led BYU men’s tennis to a 4-0 victory over San Diego on Saturday at the BYU indoor tennis courts to remain undefeated in conference play.
“We wanted to come out and get on them early with the doubles point, and we did a great job with that,” BYU head coach Brad Pearce said. “Then we got every single first set in singles and that was key for us today. We were ready to play and we were focused. We got up on them early and we never let go. I want to give credit to San Diego. They fought hard and they are a great team.”
BYU (11-8, 4-0 West Coast Conference) got off to a hot start against conference defending-champion San Diego (9-7, 1-1 WCC) after taking care of the doubles point with wins at the No. 1 and No. 2 slots. Keaton Cullimore and John Pearce teamed up to defeat Filip Vittek and Joshua Page 6-2 before seniors Aidan Carrazedo and Jacob Sullivan picked up a 6-4 victory over Gui Osorio and Joel Gamerov.
Carrying momentum into singles play, BYU earned three-consecutive straight-set wins to seal the match. Matthew Pearce was first off the court with a 6-3, 6-2 win over Joshua Page before Sullivan wrapped up his match against Osorio 6-2, 6-2 seconds later. John Pearce earned the Cougars’ fourth and final win with a 6-4, 6-4 victory over Guus Koevermans. BYU's 4-0 victory marks the Cougars' first win over the Toreros since the 2013 season.
BYU hits the road for conference matches against Portland on Friday, Mar. 31, at 10 a.m. PDT, and Gonzaga on Saturday, Apr. 1, at 12 p.m. PDT. Results will be posted to the BYU men's tennis schedule page.
BYU Men's Tennis 4, San Diego 0
- CULLIMORE, Keaton/PEARCE, John (BYU) def. Filip Vittek/Joshua Page (USD) 6-2
- SULLIVAN, Jacob/CARRAZEDO, Aidan (BYU) def. Gui Osorio/Joel Gamerov (USD) 6-4
- PEARCE, Matthew/VINCENT, Derek (BYU) vs. Guus Koevermans/Pratt Keerasuntonpon (USD) 4-5, unfinished
Order of finish: (1,2); Singles (3,2,4)
- CULLIMORE, Keaton (BYU) vs. No. 70 Filip Vittek (USD) 6-4, 4-3, unfinished
- SULLIVAN, Jacob (BYU) def. Gui Osorio (USD) 6-2, 6-2
- PEARCE, Matthew (BYU) def. Joshua Page (USD) 6-3, 6-2
- PEARCE, John (BYU) def. Guus Koevermans (USD) 6-4, 6-4
- Joel Gamerov (USD) vs. CARRAZEDO, Aidan (BYU) no result
- Alexandros Araouzos (USD) vs. TULLIS, Sam (BYU) no result
Order of finish: (3,2,4)
The BYU men’s tennis team finished the 2020-21 season with a 14-6 record, going 7-1 in West Coast Conference play for a…
Sean Hill, Ben Gajardo, Sam Tullis and Matheus Ferreira Leite were recognized for their success both in the classroom…
BYU men's tennis graduate senior Sean Hill fell to Finn Reynolds of Ole Miss 3-6, 3-6, at the USTA National Campus on…
BYU men's tennis graduate senior Sean Hill, who was originally listed as the No. 2 alternate, will compete in the NCAA…