"We have a lot to be proud of this season," BYU head coach Brad Pearce said. "I’m proud of each and every one of these guys in whatever role they’ve played. To me, it’s a great overall team success story to be where we are at right now in the season. I recognize all the contributions of our seniors. They’ve been outstanding tennis players, great students and fine young men. It's been an honor and a privilege working with them and being their coach"
BYU (13-9, 6-1 WCC) jumped out to an early lead over Saint Mary’s (6-13, 1-5 WCC) with wins at first and second doubles. Sullivan and Aidan Carrazedo dominated Manuel Lamelas and Matthew Campana 6-1 before John Pearce and Jeremy Bourgeois finished with a 6-4 win over Damon Kesaris and Nash Vollenweider at the No. 1 slot.
The Cougars continued to overpower the Gaels as BYU quickly claimed three straight-set matches. John Pearce finished first and recorded his second victory of the day by defeating Calvin Jordaan 6-3, 6-3. Matthew Pearce followed with a 6-1, 6-3 win over Matthew Campana before Sullivan earned his 14th victory of the season to clinch the match for the Cougars at No. 2 singles, winning 6-2, 6-4.
"It was great to finish being undefeated against conference opponents at home," Coach Pearce said. "The 10-2 home record this season is a great accomplishment. I believe we have a good shot at the regular-season championship. To be in the position we’re in is fun, with a 6-1 conference record, and that’s what we play for."
With six conference victories, BYU continues the fight for a regular-season WCC championship. The Cougars travel to California to play Pepperdine on Friday, April 14 and LMU on Saturday, April 15 for BYU’s final two matches of the season.
BYU Men's Tennis 4, Saint Mary's 0
- PEARCE, John/BOURGEOIS, Jeremy (BYU) def. Damon Kesaris/Nash Vollenweider (SMC) 6-4
- CARRAZEDO, Aidan/SULLIVAN, Jacob (BYU) def. Manuel Lamelas/Matthew Campana (SMC) 6-1
- PEARCE, Matthew/TULLIS, Sam (BYU) vs. Jacob Lagman/Brian Lee (SMC) 4-3, unfinished
Order of finish: (2,1)
- CULLIMORE, Keaton (BYU) vs. Damon Kesaris (SMC) 6-1, 4-6, unfinished
- SULLIVAN, Jacob (BYU) def. Nash Vollenweider (SMC) 6-2, 6-4
- PEARCE, Matthew (BYU) def. Matthew Campana (SMC) 6-1, 6-3
- PEARCE, John (BYU) def. Calvin Jordaan (SMC) 6-3, 6-3
- CARRAZEDO, Aidan (BYU) vs. Manuel Lamelas (SMC) 6-3, 3-4, unfinished
- TULLIS, Sam (BYU) vs. Jacob Lagman (SMC) 6-2, 2-3, unfinished
Order of finish: (4,3,2)
BYU men's tennis graduate senior Sean Hill fell to Finn Reynolds of Ole Miss 3-6, 3-6, at the USTA National Campus on…
BYU men's tennis graduate senior Sean Hill, who was originally listed as the No. 2 alternate, will compete in the NCAA…
Three Cougars were named to All-WCC men's tennis teams, the West Coast Conference announced Thursday. Sean Hill earned…
BYU men's tennis sophomore Jack Barnett and senior Ben Gajardo were named the West Coast Conference Doubles Team of the…