No. 3 seed BYU (13-12, 6-4 WCC) dropped the doubles point after No. 6 seed Santa Clara (15-6, 5-5 WCC) pulled out victories on courts one and two. Aidan Carrazedo and Sam Tullis finished first with a 6-4 win over Andrew Gu and Kamran Khan, but it wasn’t enough as Sullivan and John Pearce came up short in a close tiebreak, 7-6(5) to Conner Garnett and Vasileios Iliopoulos who clinched the point.
In singles action, Sullivan fought back for the Cougars with a quick 6-2, 6-4 victory over Gu at the No. 1 slot, Sullivan’s first singles match of his collegiate career on court one. The Broncos responded with straight-set wins over Carrazedo and Tullis before Bourgeois earned BYU’s second point of the match, beating Khan 6-4, 6-3, on court six. Santa Clara then secured the match victory with a win over Keaton Cullimore at second singles.
BYU closed out the 2016-17 regular season with a third place conference finish and an overall record of 13-12. Sullivan finished with a team-high 16 singles victories in dual season play.
SCU 4, BYU 2
- Garnett/Iliopoulos (SCU) def. J. Pearce/Sullivan (BYU) 7-6(5)
- Seby/Barajas (SCU) def. Bourgeois/M. Pearce (BYU) 6-4
- Carrazedo/Tullis (BYU) def. Gu/Khan (SCU) 6-4
Order of finish: 3,2,1
- Sullivan (BYU) def. Gu (SCU) 6-2, 6-4
- Seby (SCU) def. Cullimore (BYU) 6-1, 6-4
- Garnett (SCU) vs. J. Pearce (BYU) 6-2, 4-6, 4-2 unfinished
- Barajas (SCU) def. Tullis (BYU) 7-5, 6-2
- Iliopoulos (SCU) def. Carrazedo (BYU) 6-2, 6-2
- Bourgeois (BYU) def. Khan (SCU) 6-4, 6-3
Order of finish: 1,5,4,6,2
BYU men's tennis graduate senior Sean Hill, who was originally listed as the No. 2 alternate, will compete in the NCAA…
Three Cougars were named to All-WCC men's tennis teams, the West Coast Conference announced Thursday. Sean Hill earned…
BYU men's tennis sophomore Jack Barnett and senior Ben Gajardo were named the West Coast Conference Doubles Team of the…
BYU men's tennis (14-6, 7-1 WCC) closed out the regular season with a win, beating Loyola Marymount 4-2 at the LMU…