Win over Pacific extends No. 25 BYU's win streak to 10
PROVO, Utah – The No. 25 BYU men’s tennis team swept Pacific at home Friday afternoon to extend their 10-match win streak.
“We expected a tough battle with Pacific,” BYU head coach Brad Pearce said. “Not only are they a well-coached team, they also have talented players that fight hard. It’s West Coast Conference play and we just can’t afford to take any team lightly and I thought our guys were well-prepared.”
Sam Tullis and Ben Gajardo clinched the doubles point for the Cougars (12-2, 2-0 WCC). Tullis and Gajardo, who were the third to finish, defeated Ross Watson and Philip Hjorth of Pacific (3-8, 0-0 WCC) 7-6 at No. 2 doubles. The BYU pair remains undefeated with an 11-0 doubles record.
Matthew Pearce and Mateo Vereau Melendez were the first doubles court to finish, with a quick 6-1 victory over John Horoz Garner and Josef Southcombe at No. 3 doubles. At No. 1 doubles, Sean Hill and Jeffrey Hsu fell to Akram El Sallaly and Tadiwa Chinamo 4-6.
Up 1-0 going into singles, BYU then won three singles matches in a row. Tullis topped Akram El Sallaly 6-0, 6-1 at No. 4 singles. Hill finished next with a 7-5, 6-0 win over Watson at No. 1 singles.
Hsu clinched the 4-0 Cougar sweep when he defeated his opponent Hjorth 6-4, 6-4.
BYU remains at home to play St. Mary’s tomorrow morning at 11 a.m. MDT. Results will be updated following the match on the men’s tennis schedule page.
#25 BYU 4, Pacific 0
- Akram El Sallaly/Tadiwa Chinamo (PAC) def. Sean Hill/Jeffrey Hsu (BYU) 6-4
- Sam Tullis/Ben Gajardo (BYU) def. Ross Watson/Philip Hjorth (PAC) 7-6 (7-3)
- Mateo Vereau/Matthew Pearce (BYU) def. John Horoz Garner/Josef Southcombe (PAC) 6-1
Order of finish: (3, 1, 2)
- Sean Hill (BYU) def. Ross Watson (PAC) 7-5, 6-0
- Jeffrey Hsu (BYU) def. Philip Hjorth (PAC) 6-4, 6-4
- Mateo Vereau (BYU) vs. Tadiwa Chinamo (PAC) 6-4, 4-6, unfinished
- Sam Tullis (BYU) def. Akram El Sallaly (PAC) 6-0, 6-1
- Ben Gajardo (BYU) vs. Josef Southcombe (PAC) 3-2, unfinished
- Matthew Pearce (BYU) vs. Nathan Hampton (PAC) 2-0, unfinished
Order of finish: (4, 1, 2)
Additional Coach Pearce Quotes
I thought starting out with the doubles point/ was important for us as it always is. I give great credit to our No. 3 doubles team; they came out and took care of business. Then Ben and Sam at No. 2, I thought Ben played some phenomenal tennis. Getting that doubles point, I think that was an important way to start the match today. We’re happy to have it behind us and to move onto the next match, just one at a time. Just staying focused on being disciplined, preparing for each and every match and never taking anyone lightly.
Follow Men’s Tennis on Social Media
Fans can keep up with the latest on Cougar tennis by following us on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/byumenstennis), Twitter (@BYU_Mens_Tennis) and Instagram (@byumtennis).