No. 31 Cougars sweep Portland 7-0
PORTLAND, Ore. — A solid team effort by No. 31 BYU men’s tennis led to a 7-0 sweep over Portland on Saturday.
"I’m very pleased with the way our guys bounced back with such a short turnaround,” BYU head coach Brad Pearce said. “They showed great resilience. We played a complete match today!”
The Cougars (15-3, 4-1 WCC) started the match strong by claiming the doubles point over the Pilots (5-9, 02 WCC). Sam Tullis and Ben Gajardo led the way with a 6-1 victory over Nicklas Oberg and Arjun Mariyappa at No. 2 doubles. Matthew Pearce and Mateo Vereau Melendez followed by defeating Leo Hibi and Issa Yoshida, 6-2, at No. 3 doubles.
Taking the momentum from doubles, each BYU player finished his singles match with a two-set win. Vereau topped Eleftherios Neos at No. 3 singles 7-5, 7-5 and Sean Hill defeated Sema Pankin 7-6, 6-1 at No. 1 singles. At No. 2 singles, Jeffrey Hsu clinched the match at 4-0 with his 6-2, 7-6 victory over Oberg.
The Cougars and the Pilots played out the remaining singles matches of which BYU took wins in all three. Gajardo bested Hibi at No. 4 singles 6-2, 6-3 and Pearce topped Arjun Mariyappa 6-2, 6-0 at No. 6 singles. Tullis closed out the dual-match with a 6-3, 7-6 victory against Yoshida at No. 4 singles.
The Cougars return home to continue WCC play against No. 36 San Diego on Saturday, Mar. 30, at 12 p.m. MDT.
#31 BYU 7, Portland 0
- Eleftherios Neos/Sema Pankin (POR) vs. #44 Sean Hill/Jeffrey Hsu (BYU) 4-4, unfinished
- Sam Tullis/Ben Gajardo (BYU) def. Nicklas Oberg/Arjun Mariyappa (POR) 6-1
- Mateo Vereau Melendez/Matthew Pearce (BYU) def. Leo Hibi/Issa Yoshida (POR) 6-2
Order of finish: (2, 3)
- #123 Sean Hill (BYU) def. Sema Pankin (POR) 7-6 (7-4), 6-1
- Jeffrey Hsu (BYU) def. Nicklas Oberg (POR) 6-2, 7-6 (7-2)
- Mateo Vereau Melendez (BYU) def. Eleftherios Neos (POR) 7-5, 7-5
- Sam Tullis (BYU) def. Issa Yoshida (POR) 6-3, 7-6 (7-3)
- Ben Gajardo (BYU) def. Leo Hibi (POR) 6-2, 6-3
- Matthew Pearce (BYU) def. Arjun Mariyappa (POR) 6-2, 6-0
Order of finish: (3, 2, 1, 5, 6, 4)
Follow Men’s Tennis on Social Media
Fans can keep up with the latest on Cougar tennis by following us on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/byumenstennis), Twitter (@BYU_Mens_Tennis) and Instagram (@byumtennis).