Cougars fall 4-1 to UNLV
LAS VEGAS – The BYU men’s tennis team fell 4-1 to UNLV on Thursday at the Fertitta Tennis Complex.
"Credit to UNLV today," BYU assistant coach Aidan Carrazedo said. "They got on top of us early and never relented. We fought back and were right there in the end. We will recharge this weekend and get after it next week for our homestand."
The Cougars (3-6) played hard in doubles play, but the Rebels (7-0) won the doubles point and took an early 1-0 lead in the match.
BYU's David Ball and Sean Hill grabbed the solo doubles win when they teamed up at the No. 3 slot to take down Anton Ornberg and Jackson Atherton in a quick 6-1 match.
The last two doubles matches were close, but UNLV came out on top with 7-5 victories in both matchups. Sam Tullis and Ben Gajardo fell to Alex Kobelt and Jordan Sauer on the first court, while Mateo Vereau Melendez and Matheus Ferreira Leite lost to Eric Samuelsson and Clayton Alenik at second doubles.
In the singles competition, Leite won the first and only point for BYU when he handily defeated Alenik 6-4, 6-3 in the sixth position.
At No. 3 singles, Tullis dropped his match to Sauer, 6-4, 6-2 while Melendez lost to Samuelsson 6-3, 6-3 at the No. 2 slot. At the fifth position, Jack Barnett put up a fight against Tom Ciszewski, taking him to three sets, but Barnett fell 6-4, 1-6, 6-2.
The Cougars return home for their second doubleheader of the season, where they host Utah State and Idaho State, Saturday, Feb. 22, at 1:30 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. MST, respectively. Both matches will be played on the Indoor Tennis Courts.
UNLV 4, BYU 1
- Alex Kobelt (UNLV) vs. Sean Hill (BYU) 6-3, 6-7, 4-3, unfinished
- Eric Samuelsson (UNLV) def. Mateo Vereau Melendez (BYU) 6-3, 6-3
- Jordan Sauer (UNLV) def. Sam Tullis (BYU) 6-4, 6-2
- Tom Ciszewski (UNLV) vs. Ben Gajardo (BYU) 4-6, 6-2, 2-5, unfinished
- Anton Ornberg (UNLV) def. Jack Barnett (BYU) 6-4, 1-6, 6-2
- Matheus Ferreira Leite (BYU) def. Clayton Alenik (UNLV) 6-4, 6-3
Order of finish: (3,2,6,5)
- Alex Kobelt/Jordan Sauer (UNLV) def. Sam Tullis/Ben Gajardo (BYU) 7-5
- Eric Samuelsson/Clayton Alenik (UNLV) def. Mateo Vereau Melendez/Matheus Ferreira Leite (BYU) 7-5
- David Ball/Sean Hill (BYU) def. Anton Ornberg/Jackson Atherton (UNLV) 6-1
Order of finish: (3,2,1)
The following notes and quotes are from BYU men’s basketball's 75-60 loss Wednesday evening against Utah Valley at the…
The BYU men's basketball team lost to Utah Valley 75-60 at the Marriott Center on Wednesday night.