BYU earns come-from-behind win at Portland
PORTLAND, Ore. — Wins by Sam Tullis and Mateo Vereau Melendez highlighted a 4-3, come-from-behind BYU men's tennis win over Portland at the Louisiana-Pacific Tennis Center on Thursday.
"It was a great team win today against a very good Portland team," BYU head coach Dave Porter said. "It was probably the best behaved and hardest fought match of the year, they're a real class act. We were disappointed we didn't get the doubles point, but came back and won four of the singles in dramatic fashion. We're very pleased with the outcome today and the way that the kids played. We're looking forward to Gonzaga on Saturday, and then getting back home."
After trailing on all three courts, the Cougars rallied to tie each doubles match at 4-4 and then take a 5-4 lead at both No. 2 and No. 3 doubles. At No. 1 doubles, No. 71 Jack Barnett and Ben Gajardo fell, 6-4, with both matches on courts two and three tied at 6-6.
Sean Hill and Sam Tullis lost in the tiebreaker at the No. 2 spot, 7-6 (6), allowing the Pilots to clinch. Mateo Vereau Melendez and Brigham Andrus finished their match at the No. 3 spot moments after, earning a 7-6 (7) win, but Portland had already won the doubles point.
In singles play, Gajardo beat Yoshida at the No. 3 spot for quick 6-3, 6-4 win. Sema Pankin then beat Hill at No. 1 singles, 6-4, 6-4. Barnett followed with an exciting 6-4, 3-6, 6-3 victory at No. 2 singles to tie the match a 2-2.
At No. 6 singles, Matheus Ferreira Leite fell 6-3, 6-4 to Leo Hibi, giving Portland a 3-2 lead. Matches at both No. 4 and No. 5 singles went to the third set, with Tullis beating Oberg 7-5, 4-6, 7-6 (4) in an exciting match at the No. 4 spot to tie it up a 3-3. Moment later, Melendez clinched it for the Cougars with a 7-6 (1), 6-7 (7), 6-2 victory in the No. 5 spot.
The Cougars will now make their way up to Spokane for another West Coast Conference matchup at Gonzaga on Saturday, April 3, at 11 a.m. PDT. Both live stats and a live stream will be available.
BYU 4 UP 3
1. Eleftherios Neos/Issa Yoshida (UP) def. Jack Barnett/Ben Gajardo (BYU), 6-4
2. Sema Pankin/Nikolas Tvedt (UP) def. Sean Hill/Sam Tullis (BYU), 7-6 (6)
3. Mateo Vereau Melendez/Brigham Andrus (BYU) def. Nicklas Oberg/Leo Hibi (UP), 7-6 (7)
Order of finish: (1, 2, 3)
1. Sema Pankin (UP) def. Sean Hill (BYU), 6-4, 6-4
2. Jack Barnett (BYU) def. Eleftherios Neos (UP), 6-4, 3-6, 6-3
3. Ben Gajardo (BYU) def. Issa Yoshida (UP), 6-3, 6-4
4. Sam Tullis (BYU) def. Nicklas Oberg (UP), 7-5, 4-6, 7-6 (4)
5. Mateo Vereau Melendez (BYU) def. Nikolas Tvedt (UP), 7-6 (1), 6-7 (7), 6-2
6. Leo Hibi (UP) def. Matheus Ferreira Leite (BYU), 6-3, 6-4
Order of finish: (3, 1, 2 , 6, 4, 5)