Cougars sweep Dons, improve to 6-0 in WCC play
PROVO, Utah — BYU men’s tennis swept San Francisco 4-0 at the Indoor Tennis Courts on Friday, improving to 6-0 in West Coast Conference play, and extending its win streak to six matches. It was the Cougars' sixth sweep of the season.
"We're thrilled to beat a good San Francisco team today, who last week beat both Portland and Gonzaga," said BYU head coach Dave Porter. "We're thrilled to be 6-0 in conference and heading to play Pepperdine and LMU next week. We've got a great in-state rivalry with Utah tomorrow. We hope fans will come out and watch and help us honor our seniors. We'll give it our all."
The Dons took the first match at No. 2 doubles, 6-0, but Jack Barnett and Ben Gajardo beat Paul Giraud and Ori Maior at No. 1 doubles, 6-2, to tie it up at 1-1 with the match at No. 3 doubles locked up a 4-4. Sean Hill and Sam Tullis prevailed in a tiebreaker, winning the match 7-6 (1) and clinching the doubles point for the Cougars.
In singles play, Hill quickly earned a 6-1, 6-2 victory at No. 1 singles over Nitzan Ricklis. Barnett then beat Giraud at the No. 2 spot, 6-3, 6-2. Tullis followed with a dominant 6-4, 6-1 win in the No. 4 spot over Ori Maior to clinch the sweep for BYU.
The Cougars will welcome in-state rival Utah for senior day on Saturday, April 17, at 2 p.m. MDT. The match is scheduled to be played at the Outdoor Tennis Courts, but will be moved indoors if inclement weather persists. Live stats will be provided and a live stream will be available if the match is moved inside.
BYU 4 USF 0
1. Jack Barnett/Ben Gajardo (BYU) def. Paul Giraud/Ori Maior (USF), 6-2
2. Sean Hill/Sam Tullis (BYU) def. Stevie Gould/Phuc Huynh (USF), 7-6 (1)
3. Johan Garpered/Nitzan Ricklis (USF) def. Mateo Vereau Melendez/Brigham Andrus (BYU), 6-0
Order of finish: (3, 2, 1)
1. Sean Hill (BYU) def. Nitzan Ricklis (USF), 6-1, 6-2
2. Jack Barnett (BYU) def. Paul Giraud (USF), 6-3, 6-2
3. Ben Gajardo (BYU) vs. Phuc Huynh (USF), 6-1, 4-5, uf.
4. Sam Tullis (BYU) def. Ori Maior (USF), 6-4, 6-1
5. Mateo Vereau Melendez (BYU) vs. Stevie Gould (USF), 2-0, uf.
6. Matheus Ferreira Leite (BYU) vs. Mitch Johnson (USF), uf.
Order of finish: (1, 2, 4)