BYU to visit No. 31 Pepperdine, Loyola Marymount in final road trip of season
PROVO, Utah — In its final two matches of the regular season, BYU men's tennis will travel to California to visit No. 31 Pepperdine on Friday, April 23, at 2 p.m. PDT, and Loyola Marymount on Saturday, April 24, at 1 p.m. PDT. The Cougars have won seven-straight matches heading into Malibu to face the Waves, who are also 6-0 in West Coast Conference play.
BYU Notes (13-5, 6-0 West Coast Conference)
- The Cougars are 13-5, most recently beating Utah, 4-1, on Saturday
- BYU has wins over Grand Canyon, Weber State, Idaho State, Montana, Santa Clara, Air Force, Saint Mary's, Montana State, Portland, Gonzaga, San Diego, San Francisco and Utah. The Cougars' four losses were at Oregon (twice), to New Mexico at home, at Utah State and at UNLV.
- The Cougars are 2-4 on the road this season, with both wins coming in WCC play, at Portland and at Gonzaga
- BYU is led by seniors Sean Hill (15-2, 4-1 WCC), Ben Gajardo (14-2, 4-0 WCC) and Sam Tullis (10-5, 3-1 WCC)
- Two Cougars are on a five-match win streak in singles, Ben Gajardo in the No. 3 spot and Mateo Vereau Melendez in the No. 5 spot
- The doubles pair of Sean Hill and Sam Tullis is 9-4 this season, including 5-1 in WCC play. Last week's WCC Doubles Team of the Week, Jack Barnett and Ben Gajardo are 7-1 (4-1 WCC).
- BYU has a chance to win the WCC regular season title and earn the conference's automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament by defeating Pepperdine on Friday
Head Coach - Dave Porter
- Alma Mater: BYU, 1975
- Division 1 Coaching Record: 13-5 (1st Season)
- Record at BYU: Same
BYU Doubles Records
- Matheus Ferreira Leite & Mateo Vereau Melendez (1-6)
- Ben Gajardo & Sam Tullis (3-2)
- Jack Barnett & Sean Hill (2-2)
- Jack Barnett & Mateo Vereau Melendez (0-1)
- Ben Gajardo & Matheus Ferreira Leite (1-1)
- Sean Hill & Sam Tullis (9-4)
- Dominik Jakovljevic & Mateo Vereau Melendez (1-0)
- Jack Barnett & Ben Gajardo (7-1)
- Brigham Andrus & Mateo Vereau Melendez (2-2)
BYU Singles Records
- Sean Hill (15-2)
- Ben Gajardo (14-2)
- Sam Tullis (10-5)
- Matheus Ferreira Leite (9-3)
- Mateo Vereau Melendez (8-7)
- Jack Barnett (6-3)
- Dominik Jakovljevic (5-5)
- Vinicius Feijao Nogueira (1-0)
- Alex Lin (0-1)
No. 31 Pepperdine Notes (13-5, 6-0 West Coast Conference)
- The Waves are 7-6, with their most recent win coming on Sunday, a 4-1 victory at Gonzaga
- Pepperdine has wins over Cal Poly, No. 14 Oklahoma State, UNLV, No. 8 USC, UC Irvine, Washington, Santa Clara, San Francisco, No. 48 SMU, Saint Mary's, LMU, Portland and Gonzaga. The Waves' losses are to No. 11 Texas A&M, Arizona State, No. 24 Arizona, No. 4 TCU, No. 34 Wichita State.
- The Waves will visit No. 33 UCLA, their eighth ranked opponent this season, on Wednesday, April 21
- Pepperdine's No. 1 singles player, Adrian Oetzbach, is ranked ITA No. 80. The Waves also have a doubles pair ranked, Guy Ouden and Oetzbach, coming in at ITA No. 82 last week.
- The last meeting between BYU and Pepperdine was on April 513, 2019, in Malibu. The Waves outlasted the Cougars, 4-3. Pepperdine leads the all-time series, 12-2.
Head Coach - Adam Schaechterle
- Alma Mater: Northwestern (200)
- Division 1 Record: 70-32 (4th Season)
- Record at Pepperdine: 35-18
Pepperdine Match Information - April 23
- Time: 3 p.m. MDT
- Live Stream/Stats: Tennis Live Video
LMU Notes (6-9, 3-3 West Coast Conference)
- The Lions are 6-9, most recently falling at Portland, 5-2, on Sunday
- LMU has wins over Cal Poly, Fresno State, SDSU, San Francisco, Santa Clara and Saint Mary's. The Lions' losses are to USC, UC Irvine, UCLA, USCB, Fresno State, SDSU, Pepperdine, Gonzaga and Portland.
- The Lions host San Diego on Friday, April 23, before the Saturday afternoon matchup with the Cougars.
- The last meeting between BYU and LMU was on April 12, 2019, in Los Angeles. The Lions beat the Cougars, 4-2. BYU leads the all-time series, 7-5.
Head Coach - Tom Lloyd
- Alma Mater: Arizona (2004)
- Division 1 Record: 83-83 (8th Season)
- Record at LMU: Same
LMU Match Information - April 24
- Time: 2 p.m. MDT