Cougars outlast Lions in regular season finale
LOS ANGELES — BYU men's tennis (14-6, 7-1 WCC) closed out the regular season with a win, beating Loyola Marymount 4-2 at the LMU Tennis Center on Saturday.
"It was a hard fought match today," BYU head coach Dave Porter said. "We started out a little bit slow in doubles, but came back and earned the point. They were a very tenacious, hard-fighting team and we were challenged right to the very end in singles. It was an excellent match and we congratulate our seniors and their seniors on a terrific year. We're grateful to have been able to close the season out with a win."
The Cougars gutted out the doubles point, sandwiching a LMU win at No. 2 doubles and wins at No. 1 and No. 3 doubles. Jack Barnett and Ben Gajardo beat Diego Nava and Daniel Moreno in the No. 1 spot, 7-5.
After the Lions tied up the doubles matches at 1-1, Mateo Vereau Melendez and Matheus Ferreira Leite clinched the doubles point, defeating Max Kaiser and Austin Di Giulio in the No. 3 spot, 7-6 (6).
In singles play, BYU raced out to a 3-0 lead as Barnett and Sam Tullis won both of their matches handily. Barnett, at No. 2 singles, beat Diego Nava 6-3, 6-2. At No. 4 singles, Tullis also earned a 6-3, 6-2 victory, his over Max Kaiser. LMU then won at No. 5 and No. 6 singles, to make it 3-2, BYU.
Both Sean Hill's and Gajardo's matches went to a third set, with Hill taking down David Moreno in the No. 2 spot, 7-6 (4), 4-6, 6-2 to clinch the victory for the Cougars. Gajardo's match went unfinished at 4-6, 6-4, 3-5.
BYU 4, Loyola Marymount 2
1. Jack Barnett/Ben Gajardo (BYU) def. Diego Nava/Daniel Moreno (LMU), 7-5
2. Emin Torlic/Ethan Prost (LMU) def. Sean Hill/Sam Tullis (BYU), 7-6 (3)
3. Mateo Vereau Melendez/Matheus Ferreira Leite (BYU) def. Max Kaiser/Austin Di Giulio, 7-6 (6)
Order of finish: (1, 2, 3)
1. Sean Hill (BYU) def. David Moreno (LMU), 7-6 (4), 4-6, 6-2
2. Jack Barnett (BYU) def. Diego Nava (LMU), 6-3, 6-2
3. Ben Gajardo (BYU) vs. Austin Di Giulio (LMU), 4-6, 6-4, 3-5, uf.
4. Sam Tullis (BYU) def. Max Kaiser (LMU), 6-3, 6-2
5. Ethan Prost (LMU) def. Mateo Vereau Melendez (BYU), 6-3, 6-3
6. Emin Torlic (LMU) def. Matheus Ferreira Leite (BYU), 6-3, 6-2
Order of finish: (2, 4, 5, 6, 1)
BYU men’s tennis head coach Dave Porter has hired assistant coach Rong Ma to join his staff for the 2021-2022 season.
BYU men's tennis had nine members named to the WCC Commissioner's Honor Roll, with Alex Lin and Vinicius Feijao…
The BYU men’s tennis team finished the 2020-21 season with a 14-6 record, going 7-1 in West Coast Conference play for a…