Cougars welcome Grand Canyon in home opener
PROVO, Utah – Coming off a 6-1 win against Weber State, BYU men’s tennis will welcome the Grand Canyon Antelopes in its home opener Friday, Jan. 28. The match is scheduled to begin at 2 p.m. MST at the BYU Indoor Tennis Courts.
BYU Notes: (1-0)
- The Cougars are 1-0 this season after coming out on top against the Weber State Wildcats last weekend, winning by a score of 6-1.
- BYU kicked off its 2021-22 season at the Hawai’i Invitational on Jan. 6-8. The Cougars were 8-1 in doubles and 9-12 in singles for an overall record of 17 wins and 13 losses.
- The doubles duo of Brigham Andrus and Matheus Ferreira Leite are undefeated on the season at 4-0.
Head Coach - Dave Porter
- Alma Mater: BYU, 1975
- Division 1 Coaching Record: 15-6 (2nd Season)
- Record at BYU: Same
- Overall collegiate coaching record: 1,425-194
BYU Singles Record
Brigham Andrus (3-1)
Jack Barnett (0-2)
Zach Fuchs (3-1)
Matheus Ferreira Leite (2-2)
Dominik Jakovljevic (1-1)
Wally Thayne (2-2)
Mateo Vereau (1-2)
Tennyson Whiting (2-0)
BYU Doubles Record
Brigham Andrus & Matheus Ferreira Leite (4-0)
Zach Fuchs & Wally Thayne (2-2)
Dominik Jakovljevic & Mateo Vereau, (1-0)
Jack Barnett & Tennyson Whiting (3-0)
Grand Canyon Notes: (0-4)
- The Antelopes are 0-3 to start their season.
- Grand Canyon fell 4-3 to Creighton, and also lost 4-3 to Air Force on Jan. 22-23 at the Air Force Academy.
- The last meeting between BYU and Grand Canyon was on Jan. 16, 2021, in Provo. The Cougars beat the Antelopes, 6-1.
Head Coach - Greg Prudhomme
- Alma Mater: Arizona, 1993
- Record at Weber: 137-125
Grand Canyon Match Information – Jan. 28