BYU falls 4-0 to Cal Poly in two match road trip
SAN LUIS OBISPO Calif. – In a well fought match, BYU men’s tennis falls 4-0 to Cal Poly at the Mustang Tennis Complex on Saturday.
“After a slow start in extremely windy conditions, we fought back hard to give ourselves a chance to win,” said head coach Dave Porter. “I’m proud of the way everyone fought today. We left battling and now have some time to heal and get ready for a home match after a month on the road.”
With a slow start for the Cougars, Jack Barnett and Tennyson Whiting fell 6-2 to their Mustang opponents. Doubles duo Matheus Leite and Mateo Vereau finished second falling 6-3 to give the Mustangs the doubles point.
No. 2 doubles went unfinished.
The Mustangs leading 1-0, both junior Vereau and sophomore Alex Lin dropped matches to give Cal Poly a 3-0 lead.
Down by three, BYU took No. 1, 2, 4, and 6 singles to three sets. The Cougars rallied at No. 1 and 2 singles, both taking the first set to tiebreakers. In a close match at No. 4 singles, Dominik Jakovljevic came out on top in the first set 6-3, losing the second 6-4.
Wally Thayne at No. 1, fell 7-6 (6) in the first set, but came back strong in the second, taking the set 6-4. At No. 2 singles, senior Leite took the second set, dominating at 6-2, but fell in the third to give Cal Poly the 4-0 win.
The Cougars will have a week off before facing University at Idaho at home on Wednesday, March 16.
- Noah Berry (CP) vs. Wally Thayne (BYU) 7-6 (8-6), 4-6, 3-4, unf.
- Joe Leather (CP) def. Matheus Leite (BYU) 7-6 (7-4), 2-6, 6-2
- Colter Smith (CP) def. Mateo Vereau (BYU) 6-2, 6-4
- Fernando Fonseca (CP) vs. Dominik Jakovljevic (BYU) 3-6, 6-4, 3-3, unf.
- Gary Vardanyan (CP) def. Alex Lin (BYU) 6-3, 6-1
- Hendrik Inno (CP) vs. Tennyson Whiting (BYU) 6-4, 4-6, 4-2, unf.
- Joe Leather/Hendrik Inno (CP) def. Jack Barnett/Tennyson Whiting (BYU) 6-2
- Colter Smith/Bastiaan Weststrate (CP) vs. Dominik Jakovljevic/Wally Thayne (BYU) 5-2, unf.
- Noah Berry/Fernando Fonseca (CP) def. Mateo Vereau/Matheus Ferreira Lei (BYU) 6-3
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (3,5,2)