BYU men's tennis falls 4-0 to Pacific on the road
STOCKTON, Calif. – BYU men’s tennis falls 4-0 to University of Pacific away on Friday at the Eve Zimmerman Tennis Center.
In doubles play, the Cougars battled for the doubles point with Wally Thayne and Tennyson Whiting at No. 1. Thayne and Whiting eventually fell to Peter Alam and Manroop Saini 6-3. With one doubles finished, the doubles point was left up to No. 2 and 3 doubles teams. At No. 2 doubles, Dominik Jakovljevic and Jack Barnett took the lead 5-3, to put the Cougars ahead in the set. Pacific fought hard however, and came out with the win at No. 3, securing the doubles point.
Missing a few players, BYU looked to come back in singles play. Pacific continued their lead with a win at No. 2 singles by Ran Amar to put the Lions up by two. BYU fought back at No. 4 and 6 singles splitting sets in both matches. Otto Schreiner of BYU took the first set 6-3 against Aleska Mardjonovic and was starting a third set when the match completed. At No. 6 singles, Alex Lin fell in the first set only to fight back in the second set winning 6-3 over Manroop Saini. Lin and Saini were also in their third set when the match completed.
The Lions continued to be a tough competitor for the Cougars, earning wins at No. 1 and 3 singles to secure the 4-0 win for Pacific.
Pacific 4, Brigham Young University 0
1. Peter Alam (PAC) def. Wally Thayne (BYU) 6-2, 6-2
2. Ran Amar (PAC) def. Mateo Vereau (BYU) 6-3, 6-0
3. Brandon Park (PAC) def. Dominik Jakovljevic (BYU) 6-1, 6-4
4. Aleska Mardjonovic (PAC) vs. Otto Schreiner (BYU) 3-6, 6-2, 2-3, unfinished 5. Liam Puttergill (PAC) vs. Tennyson Whiting (BYU) 6-4, 5-6, unfinished
6. Manroop Saini (PAC) vs. Alex Lin (BYU) 6-3, 3-6, 4-0, unfinished
1. Peter Alam/Manroop Saini (PAC) def. Wally Thayne/Tennyson Whiting (BYU) 6-3
2. Ran Amar/Brandon Park (PAC) vs. Dominik Jakovljevic/Jack Barnett (BYU) 3-5, unfinished 3. Aleska Mardjonovic/Liam Puttergill (PAC) def. Otto Schreiner/Alex Lin (BYU) 6-3
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (2,1,3)