BYU Men's Tennis Defeats Wildcats In Final Regular-Season Match
OGDEN -- Using strong play from throughout the lineup, the BYU men's tennis team broke a seven-match losing streak by defeating Weber State 6-1 Tuesday in Ogden, Utah.
The Cougars swept the three doubles matches picking up the doubles point. Senior Damien Ward and sophomore Gert Vilms, currently ranked No. 12 in the country in doubles, defeated Pat Erikson and Derek Delancey at number one doubles 8-4 and improved their season record to 30-10.
Ward also led the Cougars in singles play as well, picking up the win in number one singles 6-2, 7-5 over Erikson. Freshman Carlos Lozano, who had won 13 of 14 singles matches since January, lost at number two singles giving the Wildcats their only point of the day. Corrie Scheepers defeated Lozano 6-3, 6-4 to deny Lozano his 28th singles victory of the season.
The Cougars received improved play from the bottom of their lineup with BYU taking every singles match from number three to number six. This match marks the first time since Mar. 10 that the Cougars won at number five and number six singles in the same match.
BYU finishes the regular season with a 10-9 dual match record. They will next compete in the Mountain West Conference Tournament April 20-22 in Albuquerque, N.M.
1. Damien Ward (BYU) def. Pat Erikson, 6-2, 7-5
2. Corrie Scheepers (WSU) def. Carlos Lozano, 6-3, 6-4
3. Gert Vilms (BYU) def. Derek Delancey, 6-2, 6-1
4. Dave White (BYU) def. Tim Rowse, 6-4, 6-2
5. Anton Rudjuk (BYU) def. Daniel Salvato, 6-3, 6-2
6. Jeff Olsen (BYU) def. Alex Tran, 7-5, 6-1
1. Ward/Vilms (BYU) def. Erikson/Delancey, 8-4
2. Lozano/Rudjuk (BYU) def. Scheepers/Tran, 8-6
3. White/Olsen (BYU) def. Rowse/Salvato, 8-3