BYU Men's Tennis Sweeps Utah State In Dual Match
PROVO -- In a solid performance by every player, the BYU men's tennis team defeated Utah State 7-0 in a non-conference dual match Friday at the BYU indoor tennis courts.
Sophomore Gert Vilms led the Cougars with a 6-4, 6-1 win in number one singles over Andy Madersbacher. He also teamed with freshman Carlos Lozano to win the number one doubles 8-3 over Madersbacher and Clayton Thomas.
"I think we had some of the vibe coming from Las Vegas," BYU head coach Jim Osborne said in reference to the BYU men's basketball team's semifinal win over Utah in the Mountain West Conference tournament Friday. "We were playing without Damien (Ward) and Nic (Losee) and it was important for our guys to step up and play well."
The Cougars improved their record to 9-2 overall. They will put their record on the line as they prepare for a road trip that will see them face four teams ranked in the top 40. BYU will face No. 34 California (Mar. 21), No. 1-ranked Stanford (Mar. 22), No. 36 Washington (Mar. 23) and No. 19 Fresno State (Mar. 25).
"This will be a huge trip for us," Osborne said. "We need to play well. We're ready to start the second half of the season."
1. Vilms (BYU) def. Madersbacher, 6-4, 6-1
2. Lozano (BYU) def. Thomas, 6-3, 6-0
3. White (BYU) def. West, 7-6, 6-3
4. Rudjuk (BYU) def. Burrell, 6-3, 6-2
5. Olsen (BYU) def. Burbidge, 6-3, 6-3
6. Faust (BYU) def. Baird, 6-3, 6-1
1. Vilms/Lozano (BYU) def. Madersbacher/Thomas, 8-3
2. White/Olsen (BYU) def. Baird/Burbidge, 8-4
3. Rudjuk/Faust (BYU) def. Bensearle/Bair, 8-6