BYU Men's Tennis Defeats Montana State 7-0 In Dual Match Thursday
PROVO -- Winning every match of the day, the No. 39 BYU men's tennis team defeated Montana State 7-0 in a dual match Thursday. The win improves the Cougars' record to 7-2 overall.
The Cougars were led by sophomore Gert Vilms. Vilms, who was name the Mountain West Conference men's tennis Player of the Week after his singles and doubles wins over ranked opponents, played the number one singles position for the first time of the season. He defeated Lukasz Mazur 6-2, 6-2. He also teamed with senior Damien Ward to win the number one singles match over B.J. Hauck and Thijs Goossens 8-3.
"This was the first match with Gert playing in the number one position," BYU head coach Jim Osborne said. "He responded well. It will help us if we can have two solid players that can play at number one for us."
BYU was pushed in every match. Three of the six singles matches went three games with the third game being a 10-point tiebreaker, including number two singles. Ward won the match 6-3, 3-6, 1-0 (4) over Goossens.
The Cougars will return to Mountain West Conference play Friday when they travel to Utah at face the Utes at 6 p.m.
1. Vilms (BYU) def. Mazur, 6-2, 6-2
2. Ward (BYU) def. Goossens, 6-3, 3-6, 1-0 (4)
3. Losee (BYU) def. BJ Hauck, 6-7, 7-6, 1-0 (5)
4. Lozano (BYU) def. Tokar, 6-3, 6-2
5. White (BYU) def. K. Hauck, 6-2, 5-7, 1-0 (8)
6. Rudjuk (BYU) def. Swanson, 6-4, 6-3
1. Ward/Vilms (BYU) def. BJ Hauck/Goossens, 8-3
2. Losee/Lozano (BYU) def. Mazur/Tokar, 8-6
3. White/Olsen (BYU) def. K. Hauck/Swanson, 8-0