Cougars Earn Second Win of the Weekend
PROVO -- The No. 63 BYU men’s tennis team breezed past Loyola Marymount 7-0 Friday, it’s second win in two days. The squad remains a perfect 7-0 while playing at home this season.
“Our guys are comfortable at home,” BYU coach Brad Pearce said. “We get great crowd support, and they thrive on that energy.”
Doubles play belonged to the Cougars again. The team swept all three matches to earn the point and the early advantage. Cassidy Mears and Evan Urbina were the first to strike, with an 8-3 win on court three.
In singles, Shubert and Urbina recorded wins to bring BYU one point away from the win. Both players gave up only two games in their respective matches en route to straight-set victories. Mears extended his winning streak to seven matches and clinched the win for the Cougars on court four.
Warias won his first set, but LMU’s Ivan Lopez came back to take the second. The two went back-and-forth before Warias edged out Lopez in the third set tiebreak to earn BYU’s fifth point of the match.
“This is great preparation for our back-to-back three match weekends in the next two weeks,” Pearce said.
The Cougars will play their last home match of the season Saturday against Montana State. The match begins at 3 p.m. at the BYU Indoor Courts, south of the Smith Fieldhouse.
Admission is free, and the team will provide pizza and prizes for fans. All BYU “Y Lot” parking lots are open to the public all day Saturday.
No. 63 BYU-7
1. Batrakov/Warias (BYU) def. Malet/Maggi (LMU) 8-6
2. Hwang/Shubert (BYU) def. Berhof/Bazula (LMU) 8-2
3. Mears/Urbina (BYU) def. Lopez/Von Der Ahe (LMU) 8-3
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1
1. R. Warias (BYU) def. I. Lopez (LMU) 6-4, 2-6, 10-8
2. T. Shubert (BYU) def. J. Berhof (LMU) 6-1, 6-1
3. E. Urbina (BYU) def. R. Maggi (LMU) 6-0, 6-2
4. C. Mears (BYU) def. G. Bazula (LMU) 6-2, 6-4
5. A. Young (BYU) def. B. Malet (LMU) 3-6, 6-3, 10-7
6. T. Fillmore (BYU) def. A. Andresian (LMU) 6-1, 6-0
Order of finish: 2, 3, 4, 1, 6, 5