Three-Match Weekend Ends in Sweep
PROVO -- In the last home match of the season, the No. 63 BYU men’s tennis team recorded its second sweep of the weekend, a 7-0 result against Montana State. The win keeps the Cougars’ home record spotless on the season.
“We finished with a perfect record at home and that’s a great accomplishment,” BYU coach Brad Pearce said. “That’s something these guys can be proud of.”
For the first time this weekend BYU was unable to sweep doubles play. The Cougars still earned the point after Daniel Hwang and Thomas Shubert won on court two and Cassidy Mears and Evan Urbina won on court three.
Freshmen Georgy Batrakov and Roman Warias battled back from being down 3-6 to tie things up at six-all. But Montana State’s Jakub Dybala and Pawel Turzanski proved to be too much for the pair and the Bobcats took the match 8-6.
Urbina struck first for the Cougars, brushing off his Montana State opponent 6-1, 6-4 at the No. 3 position. Shubert followed with a victory of his own at court two to bring the Cougars’ total to three. Mears clinched the win for BYU with a tough win over Fletcher Keyes.
Warias, Batrakov and Hwang closed out the weekend with wins to blank the Bobcats 7-0. With the victory the team improves its overall record to 12-8.
“I’m expecting to build on the momentum of what we’ve accomplished in the last three days and use that next week,” Pearce said. “We’re going to be ready for the tough conference matches this year.”
BYU will begin conference play in Salt Lake City next week against No. 48 TCU, No. 62 Utah and No. 65 UNLV.
No. 63 BYU- 7
Montana State- 0
1. Dybala/Turzanski (MSU) def. Batrakov/Warias (BYU) 8-6
2. Hwang/Shubert (BYU) def. Fuentes/Smith (MSU) 8-3
3. Mears/Urbina (BYU) def. Keyes/Perkins (MSU) 8-4
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1
1. R. Warias (BYU) def. J. Dybala (MSU) 7-6, 6-2
2. T. Shubert (BYU) def. C. Smith (MSU) 6-3, 7-5
3. E. Urbina (BYU) def. P. Turzanski (MSU) 6-1, 6-4
4. C. Mears (BYU) def. F. Keyes (MSU) 6-2, 6-3
5. G. Batrakov (BYU) def. A. Fuentes (MSU) 6-0, 6-3
6. D. Hwang (BYU) def. E. Ferrero (MSU) 6-0, 6-3
Order of finish: 3, 2, 4, 1, 5, 6