CAMBRIDGE -- After the opening day of the Harvard Kick-Off Tournament, the No. 62 BYU men’s tennis team came away with a 4-3 win over No. 61 Harvard.
The Crimson captured the first point of the contest after taking the doubles matches on courts one and two. Georgy Batrakov and Daniel Hwang were the only Cougar pair to earn a victory in doubles play, an 8-2 decision at the No. 3 spot.
In singles, BYU charged back with Cassidy Mears and Batrakov notching wins to put the Cougars ahead by one. Harvard responded with wins at the Nos. 5 and 6 positions. But in the end, Thomas Shubert and Evan Urbina were both able to come out on the winning end of three-set matches to secure the 4-3 win for BYU. With the victory, the Cougars improve to 3-0 on the season.
BYU will continue play Saturday at 9: 30 a.m. ET against DePaul and finish the tournament with singles play versus No. 67 Mississippi State.
No. 62 BYU-4
No. 61 Harvard-3
1. Omodele-Lucien/Schultz (Harvard) def. Shubert/Mears (BYU) 8-6
2. Nguyen/Felton (Harvard) def. Urbina/Smith (BYU) 8-6
3. Batrakov/Hwang (BYU) def. Chijoff-Evans/Hayes (Harvard) 8-2
1. Shubert (BYU) def. Chijoff-Evans (Harvard) 6-7, 6-3, 6-2
2. Urbina (BYU) def. Omodele-Lucien (Harvard) 3-6, 7-6, 6-4
3. Mears (BYU) def. Tchan (Harvard) 6-4, 6-2
4. Batrakov (BYU) def. Nguyen (Harvard) 6-4, 6-3
5. Felton (Harvard) def. Smith (BYU) 6-0, 6-7, 7-5
6. Schultz (Harvard) def. Eraso (BYU) 6-2, 7-5
BYU men's tennis graduate senior Sean Hill fell to Finn Reynolds of Ole Miss 3-6, 3-6, at the USTA National Campus on…
BYU men's tennis graduate senior Sean Hill, who was originally listed as the No. 2 alternate, will compete in the NCAA…
Three Cougars were named to All-WCC men's tennis teams, the West Coast Conference announced Thursday. Sean Hill earned…
BYU men's tennis sophomore Jack Barnett and senior Ben Gajardo were named the West Coast Conference Doubles Team of the…