Netters Down San Diego
PROVO -- BYU men's tennis brushed off No. 58 San Diego Friday. The No. 35 Cougars improved to 14-3 on the season with their 6-1 win.
The home team switched things up in doubles, trying new combinations on every court. Cassidy Mears and Spencer Smith recorded a win at the No. 2 position. Juniors Evan Urbina and Daniel Hwang clinched the point with an 8-4 victory on court three. The Toreros were able to notch a win at the No. 1 spot.
In singles, San Diegos' Nikola Bubnic, the No. 100 player in the country, defeated Thomas Shubert 6-4, 6-3 in what would be the Toereos' only singles win of the day. Urbina led his opponent 7-5, 4-1 before the match was retired on court two. Georgy Batrakov, Smith and Michael Eraso earned straight-set wins at the Nos. four through six positions, respectively.
Mears finished the match with a three-set win on court three. The senior won the first set 6-4 but USD's Thibaut Visy rallied to take the second 6-3. Mears came back in decisive fashion, capturing the third 6-1 and closing the match at the same score.
BYU will host the USTA Campus Showdown Saturday and continue the regular season next week in California.
No. 58 San Diego-1
1. Bubnic/Wolmarans def. Shubert/Batrakov, 8-6
2. Mears/Smith def. Powers/Visy, 8-6
3. Urbina/Hwang def. Hashem/Schive, 8-4
1. Bubnic def. Shubert, 6-4, 6-3
2. Urbina def. Wolmarans, 7-5, 4-1 (ret.)
3. Mears def. Visy, 6-4, 3-6, 6-1
4. Batrakov def. Schive, 6-2, 7-5
5. Smith def. Hashem, 6-2, 6-2
6. Eraso def. Power, 7-5, 6-2